1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If I could turn back time...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by alleyallen, Jun 17, 2008.

1. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

No, it's not about Cher, dammit!

If you could go back in time and witness one event, or be involved in one event, in your life or at any point in history -- WITHOUT actually affecting the future -- what would you do? Where would you go?

Would you off Hitler (again...the assumption is you could do it but it wouldn't actually change anything)? Would you kiss that girl at the eighth-grade prom? Would you pull out? :D

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

on a personal level i'd have finished what i started with s.e. from santa maria and we'd be married with kids.

on an historic level, would've gone up to the book depository on nov. 22, 1963, and taken out oswald before he pulled the trigger (though there may have been another gunman).

3. I would like to attend the court of Henry VII ... but only if I were a member of nobility.

4. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Lord have mercy, AA. You seriously gave my heart a scare. I read the title of the thread, saw it was started by you and thought, "What the hell has he done this time??"

Before I give my answer to the question, I want to hear yours...

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I thought he was a Cher fan. :eek:

6. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Not that there's anything wrong with that, right?

7. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

The assassination of JFK.

From a sports standpoint, the United States beating England at the 1950 World Cup. Holy shit, that would have been awesome to see!

8. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

So you can go back and witness it, but not change it?

Rats. I was going to say I'd go back to when my paper's EE's parents met and block it.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Non-important division: One of the most popular girls in my sixth-grade class liked me, but I was too chickenshit to "ask her out." Yeah, we "asked girls out" in sixth grade. The inability to pull the trigger was a common theme right up until it took me nearly three weeks to ask out my future wife in the fall of 1994...even though we'd gone to lunch nearly every single day during that span and even though the entire office knew we were falling madly in love with each other. How much luckier would I have gotten would have things changed if I'd been a little gutsier with the ladies?

Sporting division: US beats Russia in the 1980 Olympics. Not even a hockey fan, but it's the most seismic sporting event I can recall.

Historical division: JFK's assassination. A first-hand view of the moment between Before and After.

That's three. Oh well! If you don't like it, AA, you can suck it!!! :D

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I'd choke the shit out of Steve Bartman before he leaned over the rail.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

The "pulling the trigger" thing is an issue not so much anymore.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Alou still would have dropped it.

Draft saved Draft deleted