1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If I could invent something...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by alleyallen, Jun 28, 2007.

1. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

This is slightly embarassing but as I'm wrapping up reading Vox by Nicholson Baker, one of the characters mentioned a rather evil device he wished he had and it got me to thinking...

If you could invent something, even if the concept is rather preposterous, what would you invent?

I gave serious thought to a device which features a map, and any time someone is minutes away from commiting a malice-intended level of violence, it would be highlighted on the map. That way, police could arrive before a violent robbery or murder and try to prevent it before it actually happens.

What would you invent if you could?

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

French fries that make you lose weight ... without causing anal leakage or other side effects.

3. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Beer that sobers you up in the morning, and tastes good.

4. I'll tell you what I'd do, man: two chicks at the same time, man

actually, i'd like to have the espn news ticker carry over to every channel and every movie i watch.

5. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

I don't have anything in particular, but I've always wished I could thing of one thing I could invent and produce cheaply, make just $1 profit on each item and sell one million items.

I originally thought "hmmm, what does every person in China need that would net me $1 profit per person?"

I'd be a millionaire, easily.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

A book of dog recipes?

7. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Is it possible to get an idea patented then have some huge company buy the idea without ever having to mass produce the item?

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

At the very least, I think you'd have to build a working prototype.

9. I would invent a machine that kept people from stealing Philip K. Dick's ideas and passing them off as their own.

10. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Oh, okay. I have an idea for something for breastfeeding moms. But I haven't the foggiest notion of how to put together a business plan, no idea about entrepreneurism... The item would be plastic or rubber. Ick. "Plastics." There are also some liability issues I wouldn't want to be involved with. I just want Playtex to buy the idea off me and be on their merry way. ;D

11. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Now that was funny,

12. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Never read him so I'm not following. What ideas did he have?

Draft saved Draft deleted