1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If Detroit loses today.....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef, Oct 6, 2009.

1. Chef

Chef Active Member

Does Leyland come back?

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

More importantly does Cabrera come back?

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

You really think the Tigers are going to get rid of Cabrera over his idiotic behavior?

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

The Red Sox did it with Manny. And obviously, the White Sox would welcome him.

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

The Tigers were 17-15 over their final 32, which approximates how well they played all season long.

Detroit didn't choke. The Twins won 16 of their final 20 to catch them. The Tigers won 2-of-4 in the final series against Minnesota.

You wanna fire a manager for his team playing above-average baseball all season long, be my guest. But it doesn't make much sense to me.

6. outofplace

I've ripped Cabrera for what he did as much as anybody, but I don't know of him ever intentionally dogging it and he doesn't have near Manny's track record of bullshit. I just don't see it happening.

7. Knighthawk

Knighthawk Member

And did that with a starting rotation that had disintegrated. I give Leyland credit for getting Detroit to Game 163 with a 20-year-old, the decaying corpse of Edwin Jackson, Eddie Bonine, Nate Robertson and Alfredo Figaro. Oh, and his All-Star third baseman is playing on one leg, his All-Star centerfielder has forgotten how to hit and field, one of his $18 million twins is hitting like Ichiro with less power and the other is blowing a .26.

8. Chef

Chef Active Member

Nothing says dumping a ginormous contract like "Conduct detrimental to the team"

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Even when Manny "dogged it" in his final month with the Red Sox, he hit .360 and sat out only two games.

10. outofplace

I thought that particular stretch just a matter of the team justifying his departure, but he had done it in the past.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

On the plus side, another cocktail or two and Cabrera's BAC would be higher than Nick Punto's OBP.

No idea how that affects VORP, however.

12. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

.26? Former Tigers announcer Lary Sorensen scoffs at that. Your night's barely begun:

http://www.thestar.com/printArticle/301455

Beware if a Detroit Tiger invites you to go out drinking...

And no way the Tigers lose a 30/100, $18M guy over this.

Draft saved Draft deleted