1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If Chuck Amato isn't enough embarrassment at N.C. State ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Sam Mills 51, Sep 28, 2006.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

... this should take care of any doubters. ::)

Have at it.

----

N.C. State aims to keep students from urinating in stadium seats
    By ELIZABETH DUNBAR
    Associated Press Writer

RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) — The student sections at college football games are usually a little unruly, but student leaders at North Carolina State University just want the urinating to stop.
    And the problem isn't just a rowdy bunch of intoxicated fans. Students say efforts aimed at preventing overcrowding in the student section at Carter-Finley Stadium led some fans, worried about being allowed back to their seats, to stay put during the Wolfpack's upset win last weekend against Boston College.
    ``They didn't want to leave the section to go to the bathroom,'' said student body president Will Quick. Complaints about urinating and vomiting in the stands soon followed.
    N.C. State uses an online ticketing system that allows students to print their tickets at home. They enter the stadium by scanning a bar code on the ticket, but enter their assigned seating section by showing the ticket to an usher. Quick said many students make copies of the tickets for the main student section so that they can sit with their friends, who may be assigned to a less favorable section.
    And so when staff and police officers announced the section was full during last weekend's 17-15 win against the Eagles, some students opted to remain in the stands — no matter what.
    ``It was a bad image for N.C. State and for students,'' said Quick, adding that he was especially disappointed that it happened during Parents' Weekend. ``We're not all like that.''
    John Dailey, assistant director for the campus police, said officers have worked hard to assist event staff in preventing overcrowding.
    ``It had been closed off because of safety reasons,'' Dailey said. ``If I were a student and had a legitimate ticket, I would be upset too.''
    A remedy is already in the works for N.C. State's game against Florida State on Oct. 5.
    ``The plan now is to add a hand stamp to designate where a student is eligible, so it's not something you can pass off to someone,'' said Dick Christy, N.C. State's interim associate athletic director, who oversees ticketing and marketing. He said the plan will likely be finalized Friday or Monday.
    Students would need the combination of the hand stamp and the ticket to enter their assigned section, Christy said.
    Quick said the first student ticket-holders who show up at the games will get a stamp that assigns them to the main student section. Those who arrive later will be given end zone or upper level seats, he said.
    Not everyone is convinced the hand-stamping will ease the problems.
    Brian Simorka, a senior and board member of the student Wolfpack Club, said he's seen athletics event staff try a variety of methods to manage the student section. There will always be fans who come to football games drunk and unruly, he said.
    ``It's really hard to control all that. I think they do the best job they possibly can with the circumstances,'' he said.

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I'm picturing Will Quick and see a seventh-grader telling the teacher who drew an anatomically correct female image on the blackboard.

I'm not sayin' ... I'm just sayin'. ;D

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Obviously, we could make a fortune selling Stadum Pals outside the NCS stadium...

[​IMG]

4. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Didn't Rick Reilly write a column on this topic earlier this year?

5. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

Doesn't say whether Chuck the Chest was pissed off ... or pissed on.

6. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

We did a lot of shit at LSU games -- cheer for injuries, throw shit on the field, lead obscene chants -- but we never pissed in the seats. NEVER.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

That's what empty whiskey bottles are for.

8. PeterGibbons

PeterGibbons Member

That could only happen in the ACC and their rinky dink stadiums

9. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I've met your shit-talkin', asshole fans. Yes, you are.

10. lono

lono Active Member

Maybe they could get the new basketball coach to clean it up ... what the hell was his name?

Rick Barnes? No.

John Calapari? No.

Jay Wright? No.

Who did they hire??? ???

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

So what's worse: pissy NC State fans or shitty NC State coaches?

12. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Just avoid Raleigh and head on over to Chapel Hill instead. Franklin Street is a hell of a party.

Draft saved Draft deleted