1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If a job ad doesn't ask for a cover letter...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by scheyer30, Sep 11, 2013.

1. scheyer30

scheyer30 New Member

Should you still send one?

I have two thoughts on this. Yes, you should, because it's good to give yourself a formal introduction and allows you to elaborate on experience or skills you have may possess that you couldn't necessarily show in your resume or clips.

And no, because they didn't ask for one and following directions is important.

But you guys here are a lot more experienced than I am so I would like to see your thoughts.

2. joe king

joe king Active Member

If it tells you NOT to send one, don't. Otherwise, do.

3. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

This would be my advice as well.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I've never seen an as that explicity asks NOT to send one. I always do.

A cover letter is a huge asset. It allows you to introduce yourself, in whatever way you like, to a stranger and prospective employer. It gives you a chance to showcase your strong points and say things in paragraph form that don't fit as well into a bullet-point resume. I tell people who I am, what experience I can offer and what about their job interests me. I NEVER mention salary (there will be ample time for that discussion later).

My typical cover letter is 5-6 paragraphs, one page and then staple a resume to the back. If emailing, I usually copy and paste the resume underneath the cover letter and send as an attachment. Some places can't or won't open attachments in various formats. I would always advise people to include one.

5. Hoos3725

Hoos3725 Member

Because most job applications are done by email now, whatever I would normally put in a cover letter, I just put in the body of the email. The email has to have some content in it, and it just seems like duplication to me to introduce yourself in the email and then again in a separate cover letter. Plus, I only write about 3 paragraphs in the cover letter, so it fits pretty well.

6. Tim Stephens

Tim Stephens Member

A cover letter and resume is not about the job seeker. It's about the hirer. Use it to show how your skills relate to the job you are seeking, not what you've done. It's about how what you've done relates to what the hirer needs. Cover letter is important part of this.

Draft saved Draft deleted