1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

IED in Times Square?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by gingerbread, May 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

According to the calls my cop friend is receiving.
    NY news says Times Square has been evacuated.
    One report has car fire, another has car bomb. No links up yet as far as I can tell.

Edit: Here's a short link, though the pictures on TV show a much larger area has been evacuated.
    http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/times_square_car_smoke_scare_TyBE8K6vF3PzScpS9xG0XP

More update: Pretty massive evacuation, including Broadway theaters. Marriott Marquis on lockdown, along with other area hotels.
    Some news reports say propane tanks found in the suspect vehicle.

I hope nothing bad happens in other parts of NYC, because every available cop is in Times Square.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

MSNBC appears to be the only cable news channel covering this. CNN has Larry King on. Fox is at commercial.

3. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

MSNBC, of all networks, is on live about this. All kinds of stuff on Twitter - propane tanks, wires, etc. in the SUV. Scary, scary...

4. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

And now they're live on Fox News.

5. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

This could have been very, very bad news.

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Dude on MSNBC describes device as looking "like something out of a Tom & Jerry cartoon."

7. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

When he said that, he was talking about the car bomb in the UK from three years ago, the one those guys burned themselves on at the airport and in one of the cities. He said a crude car bomb, which is what this one has been described as, might be comparable to that particular one.

Bloomberg might be giving a press conference soon. That's one thing I really like about him, he's always in front of the media shortly after any type of incident happens and he's usually pretty cool and calm.

8. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

Kudos to NYPD for swift and orderly evacuation without causing panic.
    Not including New Years Eve, this was probably the most crowded night of the year in Times Square. Balmy weather, half an hour before Broadway plays scheduled to begin, hotels in the area at full capacity.

It could have been catastrophic. Now it'll likely be a Law and Order episode.

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2010/05/01/2010-05-01_times_square_evacuated_after_smoking_vehicle_sparks_emergency_probe.html

9. sportshack06

sportshack06 Member

someone needs to explain to the dimwits at CNN that Google Earth is not a live satellite view.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I enjoy watching pressers. Just once I'd like to hear an answer of "Oh, yeah, glad you asked - we do know who did this and just forgot to tell you."

I always love the "Do you have a message for (insert name of city residents here)?"
    I always think of that line in RoboCop "Stay out of trouble."

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The car supposedly had its VIN removed but they'll still be able to trace it. Times Square is bristling with security cameras so they'll ID the suspects. And they have the materials intact and probably a wealth of fingerprints on the car and containers.

These were amateurs, and thank Tebow for that. I suspect we'll have the dirtbags in custody before sundown, if they didn't hop the red-eye to Yemen.

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

What does Tebow have to do with this?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.