1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ideas that work: A mosque built near ground zero

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, May 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Are you drunk?

2. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

Nah, they have never met and do not know each other at all. Remember?

3. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

Of course. And the poster in question is well-known around here for his credibility. ::)

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

We live in a free & open society. Muslims have every right to build a Mosque wherever they want.

New York is a big & busy place. I don't see this as offensive.

But, I get a kick out of the fact that people find wearing an American flag t-shirt to school on Cinco de Mayo to be offensive and then can't understand why anyone would have a problem with this.

And, while it's not Islam, but rather a certain, radical interpretation of it that is a threat, comments like this show an ignorance of the situation that, if it is pervasive enough, will result in people getting killed:

The threats we face are directly related to radical Islam. There's no denying that. To dismiss people like Atta, Hassan, and others as just crazy, is to not understand the real problem.

And, to anyone who sees Tony's post as anything more than saying that he'd like to give the finger to the people who knocked down the Towers, I'd just have to say that you should take a breath.

Again, this is what's offensive to you?

It's a joke. Knocking down the Towers is what's offensive to me.

Save your disdain for someone who deserves it.

5. Bodie_Broadus

Nice try.

What is offensive is the way he said the middle finger would be pointing toward Mecca. So the whole religion deserves a middle finger for the actions of a small percentage.

6. YankeeFan

I thought you hated all organized religion.

7. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

Word. Tony knew exactly what he was doing.

It's really time for us to ignore the asshattery on this thread and others, and leave the ignorant clowns to themselves. All we're doing is giving them the negative attention they apparently crave.

8. Bodie_Broadus

Very big difference between indifference and hate.

9. YankeeFan

True, and you've voiced far more than indifference towards Christianity on this board.

10. Bodie_Broadus

I don't hate religion.

I hate what religion does to people.

11. YankeeFan

Including what Islam does to people?

Ever want to give 'em the finger? That's all that Tony was saying.

Stop pretending that you're so offended just because you don't like Tony.

12. Bodie_Broadus

I hate what fanatical religious beliefs do to anyone. Islam, Christian, Hindu whatever.

But, I do not think it is appropriate to give a middle finger to every person of one religion based on the actions of a few.

I thought that was pretty clear from my earlier posts, apparently you don't get it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.