1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ideas for a salad...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rosie, Nov 8, 2007.

1. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Zeke, you're just trying to avoid a trip to your room. ;)

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

now i get it. hot dish gets the beans, TP's casserole gets corn. problem solved. ;)

3. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Hmmm...we used to eat a bit of hot dish, but we called it casserole. Guess we were, in fact, puttin' on airs.

We did a tuna noodle one with Lay's on top, and a green bean one with the crispy onion majiggers on top. And my mom makes a hashbrown <s>casserole</s> hot dish that's mighty tasty.

4. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Works for me. :)

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

See, once you start calling it a "casserole," you've got anarchy.

Also, another corrollary: Any hot dish containing tomatoes probably has "Mexican" in the name.

Because up nord, der, a tomato is considered spicy.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i'd still pull up a chair for the hot dish, beans or no (damned) beans if you made it, rosie.

7. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Yeah, count me in.

8. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Aw, thanks guys. :D

Zeke, you're forgetting goulash. Tomatoes, macaroni and hamburger. AKA hamburger hot dish.

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

The green bean one is also a Thanksgiving favorite, and consists of green beans, onions, cream of mushroom soup and onion soup mix with the little onion twists on top.

Yum.

And gawd, Rosie, you're sending me on a trip. Goulash was my grandpa's favorite, and, as you said, consisted of elbow macaroni, ground beef and tomatoes, and kidney beans if there was a can laying around.

Probably the blandest thing known to man, the way my mom made it -- with absolutely no seasoning.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

no, dammnit rosie, i want my freakin' hot dish. ;D

11. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Zeke, I actually brown the hamburger with onions when I make hamburger hot dish. :D

12. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Damn, we ate the shit out of some goulash, too. Nothing worse than when people put weird shit in goulash, though. Keep it simple: Elbow macaroni, hamburger, tomatoes. For some reason, we always had macaroni and cheese with it, too, I guess because we were already boiling the macaroni. Usually cottage cheese, too. And bread and butter.

How the fuck is it that my family, most of which came from Arkansas, shares the same culinary tradition with all you folks from da U.P. (Note: I realize none of you are actually from da U.P., but I wanted to type "da U.P.," OK)

Draft saved Draft deleted