1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Idaho trooper harasses old man due to Colorado license plate (with video)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DeskMonkey1, Apr 16, 2014.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Ha.

It seems like a legitimate new concern these days, especially with drug laws varying from state to state. What's legal in California might not be legal once you cross into Nevada or Arizona (but it sure as shit would be legal in Oregon).

2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I'd be fine with cops in my area profiling everyone from Maryland. They're all fucking idiots, and there's a 99 percent chance they're doing something stupid at any given time.

3. joe

joe Active Member

Never, ever agree to a search. And if you're told to get out of your vehicle, lock it behind you.

There's a long video that I saw several years ago about what to do — and what not to do — if you're stopped by the police. I don't have the link, but it's about 45 minutes long, giving you examples of how to handle one.

Fuck Tha Police [N.W.A.]

4. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

May I suggest a "Get Out of Jail Free" card?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgJd-BI1JYY (starts at 2:30 mark)

5. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Why is it anyone's business where you're going? What kind of answer does the cop think is coming, "Well, officer, I have a meeting with a couple of guys in 10 minutes; we were going to knock off those three banks down next to the interstate."

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Driving through Connecticut (more so) or Rhode Island with New York or Massachusetts place will also invite scrutiny. (The two minutes your in New Hampshire going from Boston to Portland is also treacherous.)

But, isn't a lot of this because they figure you won't show up in court to fight the charges? It's an easy payday for the state. It also doesn't piss off any voter, who might complain to the local elected officials. Total freebie. Raise money, without consequences from out-of-staters.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Anybody see this from former MLB player, and current media member, Doug Glanville:

It was an otherwise ordinary snow day in Hartford, Connecticut, and I was laughing as I headed outside to shovel my driveway. I’d spent the morning scrambling around, trying to stay ahead of my three children’s rising housebound energy, and once my shovel hit the snow, I thought about how my wife had been urging me to buy a snowblower. I hadn’t felt an urgent need. Whenever it got ridiculously blizzard-like, I hired a snow removal service. And on many occasions, I came outside to find that our next door neighbor had already cleared my driveway for me.

Never mind that our neighbor was an empty-nester in his late 60s with a replaced hip, and I was a former professional ballplayer in his early 40s. I kept telling myself I had to permanently flip the script and clear his driveway. But not today. I had to focus on making sure we could get our car out for school the next morning. My wife was at a Black History Month event with our older two kids. The snow had finally stopped coming down and this was my mid-afternoon window of opportunity.

Just as I was good-naturedly turning all this over in my mind, my smile disappeared.

A police officer from West Hartford had pulled up across the street, exited his vehicle, and begun walking in my direction. I noted the strangeness of his being in Hartford—an entirely separate town with its own police force—so I thought he needed help. He approached me with purpose, and then, without any introduction or explanation he asked, “So, you trying to make a few extra bucks, shoveling people’s driveways around here?”

All of my homeowner confidence suddenly seemed like an illusion.

http://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2014/04/i-was-racially-profiled-in-my-own-driveway/360615/

8. joe

joe Active Member

EWB: existing while black.

9. Here me roar

Here me roar Guest

That cop should be fired. The only thing the old dude is "concerned" about is the douchebag that pulled him over.

10. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

In my experience, the individual officers benefit from the dashcam far more than the general public does. I can't tell you how many claims of police brutality or racial profiling I've seen where the video completely supports the officers' version of events and disproves the person complaining.

The departments that are resistant to them are a mystery to me, and suspect by their very refusal.

11. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Some states require you answer basic questions such as that. In those that don't, the refusal to answer basic questions can be taken into account with other factors to help the officer form a reasonable suspicion, the standard under the law, for a brief non-custodial detention in order to further investigate. There's no real benefit to refusing to answer a couple of basic questions.

The officer doesn't really care what you say about where you're going or where you've been unless you admit to something suspicious (I just came from that crackhouse around the corner) or you say something that makes no sense (Officer, I'm headed to New York City - when you're in a southbound lane on the Jersey Turnpike near Philly.) An officer worth his salt is asking questions so he can observe you for a few seconds, listen to your speech, and catch a whiff of your breath if he thinks you've been drinking. He's got to make a determination very quickly about whether this is a stop that warrants a warning/citation or whether something more serious is going on. Some are very good at it. Others, like the guy in the OP, cut corners and end up looking like idiots.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I am not a lawyer, but what states require you to answer basic questions? How is that even legal, given that you have an absolute right not to answer any questions without an attorney present? Suggesting that alone can't be a basis for reasonable suspicion of anything, can it?

I would figure the issues in the OP's story were what probable cause the cop had to detain the guy or search his car.

You can ask for the cop's cause immediately when it becomes clear it isn't just going to be a traffic ticket. It might shake the cop into remembering what will and won't hold up in court.

It's my understanding you don't have to answer anything, though -- especially when it came to the cop's drug questions.

"Respectfully, officer, I don't have to answer that," is perfectly within your rights.

You will likely get, "Not answering is suspicious. What are you hiding?"

You still are within your rights to tell him that you respectfully don't have to answer any questions.

When he brought up the search, of course, absolutely not. You have nothing to gain, except stuff planted in your car: "Respectfully officer, I don't consent to any search."

And you should reinforce it by asking if you are being detained, or if you are free to leave. You should ask that frequently, actually -- "Am I being detained, or am I free to go," because not asking is like voluntarily staying.

Draft saved Draft deleted