1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ickes says Hillary has it locked up

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Feb 16, 2008.

1. No. Fucking. Way.
    They will not give Hillary the nod if Obama wins more pledged delegates.
    Of course, at the rate he's been going lately, he may just absolutely crush her anyway, in which case the super delegates wouldn't matter.
    But I'm guessing most of them put their support behind her when they thought there was no way anyone in the field would beat her. Now that it's an actual race (and one she's even trailing), I'll bet most of them are at least up for grabs, if not already moving to his side.

2. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I think the greater question is...who gives a shit?

Four years from now, we'll all be talking about how the next person running is REALLY going to change things.

Then four years from that, we'll all be talking about how it's time for a change and if we vote for the new in-crowd candidate, then he/she will be brave enough to take on the system and change things.

See where I'm going? Call me disinterested, but it's all the same shit and really, nothing is ever going to get accomplished.

But, then again, if someone can lower my gas prices, they've got my support.

3. Do you think there is no difference between how things are now and how they were under Clinton?

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I was walking near Union Square today and some creepy-looking kid jumped in front of me with a sign and a bunch of pamphlets and in a way-too-happy-voice, said, "Do you have time for the environment today?"

Please don't turn into that kid.

I said, "Yes. I don't have time for you, though."

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I don't do way-too-happy. I think I'm safe!

6. Obama/Bloomberg in 2008.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Um, I think a lot has changed in the last seven years.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Of course . . . but never underestimate the power of selective memory, vis a vis
    the Fredo apologists.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Why is this even a thread? What's Ickes supposed to say? "We're doomed. I hope he'll be nice enough to make Hillary Secretary of Agriculture."
    This whole superdelegate issue is a silly concoction of the blowhardism that passes for political journalism. The superfriends are pols, prominent pols. They will do what prominent pols always do-take the line of least resistance. Each and every one of them except Bill Clinton (he is one, BTW) is doing what sportswriters do in the ninth inning of a ballgame, rooting like hell for whoever has the lead.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

One thing's for certain: This superdelegate noise will go right in the shitcan come 2012.

Neither party will want the possibility of having its primary process rendered moot in a smoke-filled room.

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Well, if Ickes was smart, he wouldn't dismiss the voting results of the primaries and caucuses that have gone for Obama, and all but say that they won't count and Hillary will be nominated by the superdelegates -- a fancy term for doing it in the backroom.

And if the Republicans had come up with this idea, there would be screaming to high heaven.

12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

"All Votes Should Be Counted, Some Counted More Often Than Others"[/hillary]

Draft saved Draft deleted