1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ichiro to the Yankees

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jul 23, 2012.

1. Ichiro has a HR against every AL team except Seattle - which is understandable and Toronto which is strange. My guess is that Ichiro hits a HR vs Mariners this series.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

And Tyson Beckford has bought a share of the Yankees.

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I dunno, I think the supple Ichiro ass would look good in pinstripes.

5. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Swisher is hurt. Ichiro will fill in there, and then split time between right and left the rest of the season. Also, haven't Ibanez and Jones DH'd quite a bit as well this season?

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

If I could root for Punto on the Cardinals, I can root for him on the Yankees. I just will wish good things for him and ill will upon his team.

And Tyson Beckford has been well eclipsed on my list. Mostly for disappearing from the public view.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

About 5 years too late. I had advocated for that way back as it seemd the only way the Mariners could rebuild. Hung on to him for too long.

8. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

But why get rid of him when he was the face of that franchise?

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Probably a nice bonus for the M's to have the Yankees in town for three (Great seats still available!)

10. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I look at it that way too. It's a huge short-term PR hit. Long term, I think this franchise will be fine. Some good young players, just need a bit of seasoning. (And they need to stop giving out Chone Figgins-type contracts to people like... lol... Chone Figgins.)

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I hear ya. He was a draw at the gate for a while.

Management of that team was so inept for a long time, there was no way they could rebuild without a major trade and Ichiro was their only marketable asset.

I wrote several years ago that the team had become far too comfortable in the new stadium, was spoiled by the fan base and some hefty contracts and wouldn't ever win as was constituted back in those days (late 2000s). can't prove what they woulod have gotten in return for Ichiro would have helped too much, but I could see they weren't going to win WITH HIM and the current cast, either.

12. Gold

Gold Active Member

good trade for the Yankees... a two-month plus postseason commitment to replace Gardner. He'll be a better hitter in the Yankees' lineup.

Draft saved Draft deleted