1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ichiro -- discuss

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BB Bobcat, Sep 6, 2009.

1. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

I guess it's up to the individual to decide how much weight to give his non-major league accomplishments.

But I think any intelligent voter has to take it into consideration. Ichiro's career is inherently different than any other HOF candidate before him, nobody else ever conquered baseball on two different continents to the degree he has. And he's obviously not like 2k players of the past, he's accomplished far more overall than anyone before at the 2k point and would easily be past 3k by now if he'd spent his whole career here.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

I don't think it has to be taken into consideration.

He's a .333 lifetime hitter with 2,000 hits in a shade under nine seasons. That's Hall of Fame, as soon as he meets the 10-year requirement.

3. Crash

Crash Active Member

I think he gets to 3,000 American hits.

I also think he's a first-ballot Hall guy, not just because of his on-field accomplishments, either. Ichiro basically paved the way for Japanese position players to come to America. He proved it could be done. Along with Nomo (who came, what, five seasons earlier?) and Matsui, I think Ichiro has to be considered one of the most important ambassadors for MLB in East Asia.

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Don't forget two batting titles (and three other top 5s), six hits titles, nine All-Star teams and an MVP in his first season.

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Actually, it's the NATIONAL Baseball Hall of Fame.

But I do think he'll undoubtedly be enshrined there, whether you consider his Japanese exploits or not.

Sadaharu Oh is not in the Hall.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The question for me is, guess the hack that leaves Ichiro off the first ballot.

7. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

F_B: Just take all the evidence to Hoover, Ala. ...

To get to 3000 MLB hits, he has to average

a shade under 200 for five years

a shade under 166 for six

a shade under 142 for seven

(shaded because we don't know how many more hits he'll get this year)

I think his chances are excellent, and I'd project that 3,000 will come some time in June, 2015.

As for Hall of Fame, he's a mortal lock as soon as he's eligible. With six more hits this year, he'll have as many 200-hit seasons as Ty Cobb, and he's averagin 232 hits a year. The guy is unblievable.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I can tell you all this: The Hall of Fame voter who leaves Ichiro off their ballot will not be me. I could not admire a player more.
    The guy is great fun to watch play. A-Rod (to take a random example, and this not a knock) is a greater player, but if you're not a Yankee fan, how much pure entertainment does he provide? I look at Ichiro and I think "You know, the way they played the game in 1906 probably made for a good day at the ballpark for fans."

9. If Joe Gordon is a Hall of Famer, Ichiro is.

And I know that Bill James hates that argument.

10. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Dude is an absolute, bonafide hall of famer. A total game changer as long as he's played in the U.S. Plays great defense with a cannon for an arm, in addition to the hitting ability everyone agrees it out of this world. And I wouldn't at all be surprised if he got to 3,000 MLB hits.

In fact I was just talking about him last night with a friend of mine and he thinks Rose's record would be gone if Ichiro played his whole career here.

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

wfw

He's a lead-pipe lock, assuming he plays one more year in the majors and qualifies (you have to play 10).

12. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Ichiro is one of the few players I would go out of my way and pay to watch play. And while everyone is praising his hitting, the guy is an exceptional defensive player too.

Draft saved Draft deleted