1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ichiro 4000 Hits RT

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Aug 12, 2013.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Did they really make that big a deal about this?

They would have made such a bigger deal if he was actually going for 4,000 MLB hits.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Definitely, but they did treat it like a real accomplishment. It would have been like the NFL celebrating Warren Moon for reaching milestones if you include his CFL statistics. Except the level of football in the CFL may be even worse than the level of baseball in Japan. (Does JR read baseball threads. :))

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I did no such thing. The lack coast-to-coast travel was one of many factors cited to counter a statement that neither Rose nor Ichiro should be mentioned in the same grouping as Ty Cobb.

Nor have I argued that Ichiro's Japanese numbers should count toward his "major league" hit total. Of course they don't.

4. outofplace

My apologies if that is true, but at that point, I' don't know what you are arguing. His accomplishments are clearly far less if you don't try to count in the numbers in Japan.

I guess perhaps your argument is on contract with the others trying to prop up Suzuki on this site.

5. micropolitan guy

I have no need to "prop up" Ichiro's accomplishments' whatever that means. I expect he'll get to 3,000 hits, be considered one of the greatest hitters of his generation, and make the Hall of Fame.

Accomplishments that stand on their own quite well.

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Carlos Beltran definitely has had a better Major League Baseball career than Ichiro Suzuki.

7. outofplace

If you don't think there has been some propping up of Suzuki's accomplishments on this thread, you're not paying attention.

That said, nobody is disputing the Hall of Fame is in his future.

8. micropolitan guy

Maybe by others, but not by me, which was your statement.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Goddamn straight.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. outofplace

You also said players in Cobb's era used gloves "the size of a baking oven."

That would be a really big glove.

11. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I noticed that, too. I figured he was on a phone and it autocorrected from "baked potato."

12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Just FYI, the "no coast-to-coast travel" argument against old-time players is BS. Travel today is tons easier than it was in the days of Cobb and Ruth, especially the way major leaguers travel (no security lines, etc.).

I submit a big-league team's train trip from New York to St. Louis in, say, 1921 was just difficult and draining, if not more so, than a New York to LA flight for a team today.

Draft saved Draft deleted