1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Icepocalypse 2010

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Jan 27, 2010.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

We're expecting, I believe, 1 to 2 inches. Shouldn't be too terrible. Definitely not enough to keep me away from JMU at GMU at noon. :)

2. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

"Homer! The plant called and said if you don't come in today, don't bother coming in Monday either."

3. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

National Weather Service is predicting 15 inches by storm's end for here. That's two average years worth of snow in 48 hours and possibly as much as we got in the 2000s.

4. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I spoke too soon. It has turned to shit in my neck of the woods.
    The slush from this morning has frozen into a solid layer of ice and the snow is coming down
    I really hope the power doesn't go out. That's when it will get ugly.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

A friend in your neck of the woods described the roads as "being covered with Sonic ice." Yikes.

6. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

It has really started to snow here, now. We've had about two inches since lunch.

7. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

WOOO HOOO, four day weekend!

But seriously, here in Southwest Oklahoma we are going to be without power for a while. At my farm in particular, there are tress snapping in two and taking down power lines with them. They are giving us estimates from anywhere between three days and a week. The only way I'm able to post this is from work, where we have power. We huddle together at night as we have only one propane heater on the wall. We are using car chargers to get our electronics charged enough so we can listen to iPods, play out DSi or watch movies on a laptop.
    We have three houses in our "complex" and one has the hot water and is comfortable with many propane heat sources, one has all my animals lumped in front of that wall heater and then my mom's house with zero heat but the only gas-top stove.
    Wish us luck, we are going to try to get through this.

8. Colonel Angus

Colonel Angus Member

Wow, Roy, sorry to hear you're suffering. Sounds like you're getting the 2010 version of the storm we had here in Tulsa in December 2007. Take care, brother.

9. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

When it started snowing in my neck of the woods, we were getting about an inch per hour. I go in to cover a prep basketball game and the ground was dry. I come out, ground completely covered with about two inches, interstate snowpacked and travel treacherous. I really don't plan on going out tomorrow unless I have to.

10. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Looks like we have two inches here in Louisville. Could be more by daybreak.

11. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

We had nothing when I went to bed at 4 a.m., about an inch when I got out at 11 and now have 8-10 inches most places. It was white-out conditions for driving for a while, and the Sonic Ice description is a great one for the roads. I'm a decent snow driver, but this was ridiculous. It took me an hour to make a 20 minute drive across town.

Hopefully it all moves out by tomorrow, since I can stay in my cozy little apartment until Sunday afternoon.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

About 3/4 of an Oden of snow here. Just finished shoveling front steps and walk. I'm the only one on the block so far. Win! (Fail?)

Draft saved Draft deleted