1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ice age coming

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I'll accept that throwing up our hands isn't a good idea. We've got to at least go down swinging, right? I'll get behind anyone who comes up with a good idea that also makes some degree of financial sense. Hybrid cars are a good step and have come along faster than I thought they would.
    That raises another question, though. If we go to, say, hydrogen fuel cells instead of fossil fuels, will we be having this same discussion 200 years from now? Too much extra hydrogen in the air can't be a good thing in the long term, can it?

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

The greatest contributor to CO2 gases - coal burning power plants. The solution - nuclear power with zero co 2 - lets have a real discussion about that.

All the other stuff is window dressing / feel good .

3. SigR

SigR Member

I'm only talking population growth related to births/deaths. So I can exclude immigration/emigration.

Also, I don't consider large religious families to be part of "progress" or collective world "intelligence". I think they tend to be an anecdotal exception to a general principle. Having children is an enormously selfish and expensive decision--something reasonable, intelligent, educated individuals learn.

4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Interesting that Batman brought up Mars.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2007/02/070228-mars-warming.html

I'm sure all the Global Warming alarmists will ignore this, [blue]what with National Geographic being right-leaning organization and all. [/blue]

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Actually, I believe hydrogen cells produce water as a byproduct.

6. joe

joe Active Member

Um, what?

7. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

It produces water vapor, right? Which is technically a greenhouse gas, but so his question in theory is still valid. Can't say I know too much on the subject, but choosing between water vapor as a byproduct and what we have right now can't be that hard of a choice right?
    (Isn't the biggest issue with hydrogen cars that getting the hydrogen is such an inefficient process? Someone know something about this? I'm talking with a vague knowledge here.)

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Exactly right. You spend more energy splitting water molecules to make hydrogen gas than you would get out of it burning it in your car right now. The technology has to advance dramatically. Plus, hydrogen gas is the smallest molecule possible and thus tends to escape readily; that problem has to be solved.

We're a long way from hydrogen power.

9. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Oh, like the influence you and others think we have as a result of the Iraq War? Oh sorry. I didn't know it would be that easy. Done. Let's all go get gas before it's $12 a gallon. Hurry along.

10. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

There's a difference between trying to rally people around a common cause, and trying to rally round what has been proven to be a very bad idea.

For one, the U.S. would have the entire European Union behind it immediately, which it certainly didn't upon entry into Iraq.

Draft saved Draft deleted