1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I would go to the movies more often ....

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HC, Jun 6, 2011.

1. GoochMan

GoochMan Active Member

Not that I'd want serious harm to come to anyone in a movie theatre...but that is a funny story. Was she scared or defiant when the crowd came at her?

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Kind of aggressively oblivious the first couple times, like "I'm gonna do whatever I want," but the last couple of times it was clear people were getting pissed.

However she didn't seem worried enough to put her phone on silent, or NOT TO ANSWER it the last time it rang.

3. I usually go to the movies once a week and went to see the hangover the other week. Went to a 10:15 show on a Tuesday figuring with school still in we'd avoid the high school kids. Walked into the theater and was one of 6 people there. Within 10 minutes it was full of high school kids. Kid in front of me was clearly drunk or high and kept reclining his seat back into my knees. Girls behind me were chatting away. About 5 minutes into the movie a high school guy walks into the theater and the girl behind ms stands up and yell, "Brian sweetie we're over here. Where have you been?" Im a pretty mild mannered person and not very confrontational, but at 6-1, 350 I can be kind of intimidating. So I turned around and said "are you fucking kidding me? This is a movie theater, shut the hell up." She went ghost white and was quiet for about 5 minutes.

Couldn't believe how many kids were just casually chatting away during the flick. When did the movies become a social experience?

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

There's an Alamo Drafthouse not far from my hometown. Tried going there when I was back home a month or two ago. The movie I wanted to see was sold out. So we went over to the old, nubby mall theatre instead. Missed out on the good theatre, but I saved a ton of cash.

There was a place like that in Huntsville when I lived down there. Very, very nice theatre.

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Last movie I was at - much to Mrs. Huggy's dismay - was There's Something About Mary and in those days there were no CrackBerries and I don't know anyone who texted. And if you had a cell it was probably as big as a brick.

And get off my lawn!

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Wow. I used to go twice a week. I now go about 5-6 times a year.

7. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I love going to the movies. I usually see about 30 movies a year in the theater. Given that my fellow moviegoers don't have the best manners, though, I am picky about when/where I'll go. I tend to go to matinees, I rarely go see a movie within the first two weeks of its opening and I only go to certain theaters. Despite the loud senior citizens and the texters, I still enjoy seeing a movie on the big screen. When I watch movies at home, I am too easily distracted.

8. Mizzougrad96

When I was still in journalism, I loved nothing more than going to the noon showings, especially when I was on the road.

I love a nearly empty theater.

9. Mizzougrad96

When I was in high school I went to see Do The Right Thing... in Oakland... We were killing time before an A's game and thought where better to see the movie than Oakland.

There were four of us and we were the only white people in the theater. It was either opening weekend or the second weekend and I don't think we knew how powerful the movie would be. I seem to recall the previews making it seem more like a comedy, but we were pretty young and didn't know any better...

We should have left when one of my friends laughed waaaay too hard at one of John Turturro's lines, I think when they were going back and forth with the races all ripping each other.

At the end of the movie, one patron chased said friend out of the theater and needless to say it scared the shit out of the rest of us...

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

11. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

Not a frequent moviegoer, but an occasional one.

I have not once had a problem with a cell phone user in a movie theater in my years on this mortal coil. Never accosted anyone in a theater. Never been accosted.

12. Mizzougrad96

After a guy answered his phone three times and had three different conversations while I was at Gladiator on opening night, I threw his phone across the theater. I immediately had one of those feelings like, "Oh, shit, I'm going to get arrested or I hope this guy isn't bigger than I am."

The people in the theater started applauding and as luck would have it, the guy was about half my size and he just ran to get his phone and if he sat back down in the theater it wasn't in front of me.

Draft saved Draft deleted