1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I work at a newspaper and I got a raise!!! Oh wait...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JayFarrar, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So, you're what? A drug dealer, snowman?

2. WS

WS Member

Worse. A publisher.

3. thesnowman

thesnowman Member

I hope I'd never be so smug as to mention that if I were a publisher. I'm a rank and file sports writer working for a relatively healthy company (*knocks on wood*) that isn't carrying 10-12 figures in debt. For those sick of the gloom and doom stories, my point is that there are still glimmers of hope out there.

4. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I've gotten raises twice, both at my two-gigs ago job.

IIRC, the first one was an across-the-board $1,000 per year raise for everyone in the company, which came a few months after everyone in the company had to endure a two-week furlough.

However, supervisors recommended employees for the second one, and that was the first time I got an honest to goodness performance appraisal at that company. All I remember is my supervisor telling me point-blank he recommended that I get a raise to the big boss and then I saw it in my paycheck that day (since it was pay day). The last time, I saw it in my check without being told it was coming.

How I long for those days again...

Draft saved Draft deleted