1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I wish I had played ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by ArnoldBabar, Aug 7, 2008.

1. Flash

Flash Guest

Curling is a hoot.

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I probably should basketball to the football post earlier. But between being very short for my age through secondary school and having knee joints that better resemble unorganized piles of rocks, that more than offset a halfway decent understanding of the game and a marginal perimeter shot.

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Did curling once in high school. Whole lot harder than it looks.

4. Grimace

Grimace Guest

This might sound weird, but, cross country.

I don't love running, but I love mixing things up, going for a bike ride, hike, kayaking. I just think having that base fitness level would allow me to enjoy outdoor sports a lot more. I wouldn't get tired and I would ride a bike all day if I could. Plus I dream of doing a triathlon some day.

5. Flash

Flash Guest

Is a helluva leg workout!

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Ding! That's my answer. I started school a year early. Add that to my natural lack of athletic ability, and I was no threat to make varsity anything. But my real regret is that I cheated myself out of so many experiences because I was too embarrassed to actually learn a sport. Somehow, some way I've got to change that before I reach my 40s.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

And there can be alcohol involved!

8. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Then Cyclo-cross might be the sport for you. You ride a bike on a bmx-type track, but there are places where you have to dsmount and carry the bike over mud, puddles of water, around obstacles. It is definately a lot tougher than it looks.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

1. Professional soccer - I got a tryout with a Major Soccer League team out of college. I was offered a whopping $2,500 contract, turned it down and went to grad school.

2. Volleyball
    3. Rugby
    4. Gaelic hurling and football
    5. Lacrosse
    6. Cricket

10. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

...anything but clarinet. Missed the day in fifth grade when we got to pick instruments. Was forced to play clarinet because my sister's old one was still in our home. Quit two weeks later.

As for sports, tennis. Played all the time and won summer tournaments against snobby kids, but high school didn't have it. Could have played in neighboring town but their school would have had to move up a class because they would have counted our school's enrollment as well. Just another example of the man keeping me down.

Was surrounded by hockey growing up but had no desire to ever play it. Cricket's intriguing. Spent 6 weeks in Cape Town and watched about 87 hours of it. And that was one match, as far as I could tell. Tried batting against some in-laws and failed miserably, much to their delight.

11. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Whoa. I'd be happy to be the back-up jock holder for the back-up keeper on a rec league team.

12. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Would have wanted to play hockey. I also wish I'd have gone out for the golf team because these days, seeing the courses teams get to play, it would have really been fun to play.

Draft saved Draft deleted