1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I Will Not Make It Through This Day

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pete Incaviglia, Sep 20, 2008.

1. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

My first ever "self indulgent, poor me, whining thread."

I'm sick. Sore throat, stuffy nose, headache. It's going on the third day. Caught it from my daughter, who caught it from my wife. I hate being sick more than anything in the entire world. And I mean that.

I worked Friday night — until midnight, as usual.

Went to bed at 1:20 a.m. — about 40 minutes earlier than most nights.

When I did so, seven-month-old Little Inkyette was sleeping. Snoring, snot-filled and occasionally groaning (she's stuffed up, maybe teething) but she was asleep . . . until 5:20 a.m.

Yup, barely four hours sleep the night before I was to start work at 8:30 a.m. and she was up screaming bloody murder, then wanted to play, then fell asleep for, oh, all of 40 seconds before she screamed and cried again - for 20 minutes.

I threw in the towel and showered at 6 a.m. and headed to the office by 7 a.m. I caught up on cleaning out my email inbox and filing mileage for the first 20 days of the month.

I have, as usual, a college football game to cover today. But I had a 9 a.m. event, too - which was fucking awful by the way. A rout for the visitors in a fringe sport no one gives two damns about. But, the SE assigned. So I went. Oh, and took photos, because the photog isn't starting until the football.

I've had a pot of coffee and am now sipping Sprite - at 10:30 a.m. I almost bought a Coke at 9:30 a.m.

Kickoff is still two-plus hours away. It's going to be a goddamn marathon because it's nationally televised, which means commercial time will drag this fucker out until suppertime.

No real point to this thread, other than to bitch and moan because my wife won't hear of it!

Thanks for listening (reading?) and hope your day/weekend is a whole hell of a lot better than mine.

2. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Hot coffee with a little whisky mixed in.

Then take 3 DayQuils.

You can thank me later.

3. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I've gotta cover a cross country meet in a few.

Anyone wanna go for me? :D

4. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

I could tell you about finishing up midnights at my "real" job this morning, then doing a soccer/football doubleheader (in between games right now) with no sleep since 5 yesterday afternoon ... but this is your whiny thread, not mine.

Good luck this afternoon, and I hope both you and lil' Inkyette get to feeling better posthaste.

5. tonysoprano

tonysoprano Member

It wasn't a marathon day but I remember being at a college football game once with a hellish sinus attack. And my co-worker sitting next to me had the flu. The game turned out to be a monumental upset, which aggrivated the two of us even more, but we sucked it up and hammered out some quality stuff. Two toughest SOBs up in the pressbox that night.

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

That's the spirit, Pete.

7. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Toughen up, Buttercup.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

pete - see how many people you can infect in the box. that should help pass the time.

9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Hey, having an interview the morning after a 12-hour overnight shift isn't too much fun, either.

More shocking is I got the job ... and I KNOW I looked like death warmed over at the interview. Most shocking: No drug test (though all they would have found was Mountain Dew swimming in my stomach).

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

you mean you just scored one ... as in the past couple of days?

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

In the last few weeks. Part time. Two 10-hour shifts there in addition to three 12-hour overnights at my "other" job.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

congrats.

Draft saved Draft deleted