1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I Will Never Complain About Brent Musburger Again

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jan 9, 2009.

1. highlander

highlander Member

Knew the broadcast was going downhill when Brennaman called the first play a reverse when it was a sweep. The ball never reversed direction. Then a few minutes later, the refs called time to review things. Neither announcer had an idea why. Meanwhile I'm hollering "They are going to reset the time. Didn't you see the clock run off around 40 seconds after an incomplete pass."
    Brennaman called OU - Oklahoma University. Despite the "OU" cheer, it's The University of Oklahoma.
    Finally during OU's final drive, Brennaman said "the OU can get into field goal range or go for the touchdown." On the next play, Brennaman corrects himself saying "OU needs a touchdown." Please pay attention and know the score of the game.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Yup - it was the Speed sweep that Florida has run all year. A basic spread O play. Bad day for a lot of folks including

Fox announcers
    Officials
    OU Coaching staff

I re watched game and boy all 3 groups stood out for how bad they were.

OU coaches blew the game with their play calling and Fox did not do a good job of conveying that story. OU slowed down from their usual tempo on Offense and it cost them a lot of momentum. They only got off 72 plays from scrimmage when during the season they averaged 92.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Actually, Boom's point shows how announcers can screw up a production idea. Markvid's clock and the four-camera screen shots were making it clear in vivid fashion that Oklahoma was screwing itself with the insane idea to call plays like Peyton Manning except having coaches call them from the booth, a bureaucratic idea worthy of the Department of Commerce. And the two announcers never mentioned this, or, my guess, ever noticed it. Announcers with some background in college football might have known enough to say Oklahoma's rhythm was shot, and they needed to change up.

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

90% of announcers (and the highlight readers) mis-identify an end-around as a "reverse". As pointed out before, the ball never reverses direction, yet its called a "reverse".

5. I Digress

I Digress Guest

That's my pet peeve.. End around. It's not that difficult of a concept. End around!

6. highlander

highlander Member

Ninety percent? I think most football fans understand the difference between a reverse and a sweep. It's a very common play in high football but I guess Brennaman hasn't seen much football at any level. He needs to stick with baseball.

7. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Ah, baseball and Fox.

I realize it's a different time now, but watching old games on ESPN Classic and MLB Network underscores the point about Fox cutting quickly to commercial -- and in this case barely beating it back for the first pitch of the next inning.

Remember the days of watching the last three or four warmup pitches? You almost felt like you were at a baseball game. Yes, I also realize you get camera angles and technology you didn't get back in the day, but I'd trade the gadgets, bells and whistles for more of a feel of a relaxed, thoughtful day at the ballpark.

8. I think it's time to complain about Brent Musberger again.

9. micke77

micke77 Member

why complain about brent musburger when complaining about chris berman would be more fun.
    the boomer has grown old with his "back, back, back, back" routine, among other things....and if charles davis might talk during your backswing, berman would likely go into the "back, back, back" spiel....
    and that "fastest three minutes" offering is three minutes of high-decibel mish mash that, unless you had already seen the scores or heard about, would be difficult to decipher...

10. Boom_70

Markvid - I went back and watched the series in question when Brenneman screws up the downs. He actually made the mistake 3 times before he corrected it. How would someone in the truck not pick this after the first time and let Brenneman know.

At 6:50 when it was 2nd and 10 as OU comes up to line Brenneman announces it is 3rd and goal - Bradford stops and looks to sideline for new play - still no correction . Play run Jones tackled near goal line Brenneman announces "Jones on 3rd and goal just short. Now they have a decision to make on 4th and goal"

OU lines up - davis shouting "go go go" Brennman "jones stopped on 4th and goal" at 5:50 - a full minute goes by with 3 mistakes by Brenneman and no correction.

11. markvid

markvid Guest

I saw that sequence after I downloaded it, I honestly don't remember the exchange between Thom and the truck - I thought someone DID correct him, but I could be wrong. I know our Fox Box op was yelling that he was wrong.

12. Boom_70

Brenneman did make a correction at 5;50 after he announced "Jones stopped on 4th and goal" He corrected it to 3rd and goal- 3 mistakes and a minute after original.

Draft saved Draft deleted