1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"I will light you up!"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Jul 23, 2015.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

What happened was the officer first asked her to put out her cigarette. She did not have to comply with that order. He had no right to demand that.

Then because he didn't like her attitude, he told her to get out of the car. He does have the right to enforce that.

She was being difficult, but I think officers should lean more on trying to remain polite themselves than demanding obediance and respect from everyone they come across.

She was in jail and died because she pissed off a cop.

Not a smart move on her part, but the more crap like this happens, the more people fear police officers, and not in a good way.

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

So you think the cop arranged for her to hang herself, huh? Or you think the cop killed her and made it look like a suicide?

old_tony likes this.
  3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I see it exactly the same way, Ace. There should be no place in our country for people going to jail (and in her case ending up dead in jail) for "pissing off a cop." When that happens, we need to put a giant spotlight on how those cops were doing their jobs. It should be incumbent on the police to deal with situations and keep their cool and not escalate situations the way that idiot did. ...

We shouldn't be living our lives under the authority of the police. It should be the opposite: when the police interact with us, they should have a ton of patience -- however the person acts toward them, as long as they aren't a threat -- given the fact that the cop is infringing on someone's life (who is presumed innocent UNTIL he or she gets due process).

In that case, she blew it when she refused to get out of the car. It gave him the justification to go on a power trip, unfortunately, because even though a minute before he was ready to hand her a warning and leave, we somehow have it in this country that until he does leave he can order her to get out of the car and pat her down. That is where this whole thing goes wrong. If he has ANY common sense, he hands her the warning (or a ticket) and leaves. Someone like that should not have the authority to police those situations. He made it about him and having to be in charge. Not about the infraction itself.

4. qtlaw24

qtlaw24 Active Member

Someday I hope law enforcement gets the message that to get respect you have to show respect for others. Someone who appears to be a safety risk bets belligerent? Okay. Not a freakin' (questionable at best) turn signal in the middle of the day.

Escalation or not, what is most upsetting is this is such a minor infraction, in the best case scenario for the police, and it leads to an arrest.

Distilled down, someone is dead because they were jailed for failing to make a turn signal; in what place is anyone okay with that scenario? Should be zero.

5. doctorquant

I'm really not trying to be difficult here, as I agree completely that the arresting officer stepped in the shit in the worst kind of way. But I cannot for the life of me understand why it is so obvious to so many people that this young woman, had she not been arrested/jailed, would be alive today. Because that is not at all obvious to me.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

She thought she was starting a new job in Texas. Instead, she was stuck in jail, for days, because she didn't use a turn signal to change lanes. To give a cop room to get past her.

I don't know. It seems like that kind of little annoyance might just be enough to upset a young woman.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The cop shares responsibility in how things escalated and it was entirely his decision to arrest her.

I don't know what happened after that, but my understanding is that being in jail is not a net positive.

8. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

It was absolutely poor policing, and the fault is the officer's.

Period.

The woman should have never set foot in that jail, and the officer should never wear the badge again.

9. doctorquant

Bah, I can't play along anymore because in this kind of a venue it'll sound as if I'm saying she somehow deserved it, and that's not where I am at all. Of course it was bad policing on the officer's part. And of course she shouldn't have been jailed, though if you ask me she sure acted as if she wanted to be. I may be a middle-aged white guy dripping with privilege (yeah, right) but I can't imagine a realistic circumstance in which I'd dare a police officer to pull me out of the car.* I doubt you, or anyone else 'round here, would do that either.

But she's not dead because she was jailed.

*"Let's do this."

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Always fun in these circumstances to imagine the parallel universe in which we have a police report but no video.

I wonder how violent she would have been in that. Ninja-like, I bet.

Stoney likes this.
  11. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

And being in jail for days for a minor traffic offense at that. If she was depressed or in some other way on the edge anyway that certainly can send her over the top. It's not to say something during that time frame wouldn't have done the same thing if she hadn't been arrested, but I think it's pretty damn awful she is in jail for three days for pretty much nothing. How does that happen?

12. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

If everyone who failed to use their turn signal was arrested, there would be more people living in jail than at home. Two-thirds of U.S. drivers have no clue what that lever on the steering column is for.

JackReacher and SpeedTchr like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted