1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I was turned down

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by pffft, Jan 15, 2011.

1. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

That works from both sides of the hiring line. Our company fired the managing editor almost two years ago and I was asked to fill in for 6 weeks or so.

It took them 18 1/2 months to find a new ME.

2. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

The part about a question answered a certain way is definitely true. When I interviewed for my current job, one of the first few questions was "Where do you see yourself in five years?" HTF do I know what I'm doing in five years? I guess the question is designed to get a sense of what your goals are, but I've been in the work world for over 20 years, and that question caught me completely flat-footed. Am I supposed to say, "well, ideally, I'd love to have your job."? Leaving the interview, which also included a writing test, I felt like I had blown it. With nothing to lose, I emailed the interviewer and offered a clarification on that one question, and I'm convinced that answer is what landed me the job.

3. I thought he was talking about sex.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Just because someone says that they are looking to fill the position quickly and they don't doesn't mean he was lying. That could be the intention of the boss wanting to fill the position, but his boss or corporate or HR could put the kibosh on that at any time.

And for pffft, that stuff happens. Only thing I can think to do differently is to have asked if there was anything you could do to get that job in the future.

5. accguy

accguy Member

OK, I know I might sound like Mr. Positive, but I interviewed for so many jobs that I didn't get and was disappointed at the time.

Looking back now, some of those things were total blessings. I can't imagine where I'd be today if I took some of those positions.

Draft saved Draft deleted