1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I wanna sniff Derek Jeter

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Songbird, Aug 3, 2006.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

NEW YORK (AP) _ Derek Jeter cologne is on the way _ and it's called Driven.

The scent is designed to capture ambition, courage, passion and confidence, said Avon Products Inc., which partnered with the New York Yankees shortstop to develop the signature men's fragrance.

It's a blend of crushed leaves, black pepper, chilled grapefruit, rhubarb, lavender, spearmint, bamboo, driftwood and oak moss, the company said.

Jeter was involved throughout the development process, and he's the face of the fragrance in print ads.

"I knew what I wanted. I didn't want it to overtake a room," Jeter, 32, told The Associated Press in an interview Tuesday. "I wanted it to be clean and sophisticated."

Jeter wore a gray plaid suit for the launch event at Lever House, a chic Manhattan restaurant favored by the beauty and fashion industry.

Driven will be available in November, at a cost of $25 per bottle. It is the first in a series of men's grooming products with Jeter's name.

"We are thrilled to be partnering with Derek Jeter _ a man whose career and community accomplishments make him an outstanding fit for the brand," said Liz Smith, executive vice president and president, North America and global marketing for Avon Products, in a statement.

2. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Tremendous thread title...had no idea where this was going when I clicked the mouse.

Also the possibility for quite the threadjack -- Brook Jacoby cologne anyone?

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

This sounds like a really bad idea to me. Most men I know would feel like fruitcakes wearing Derek Jeter cologne.

They'd be smarter to make a perfume with his name on it and market it to teenage girls.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Sniff... sniff...

It's called Driven by Odeon. It's illegal in nine countries.

It's a formidable scent. It stings the nostrils. In a good way.

5. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

I'm gonna be honest with you, that smells like pure gasoline.

6. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Or a used diaper filled with Indian food. But it's got bits of real Jeter, so you know it's good.

7. Matt Foley

Matt Foley Member

Its smells like the Big Unit's dick

8. Songbird

It smells like UCLA football is going to suck bigger than Big Unit this year.  ;D

Fight on!

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Stay classy.

10. Matt Foley

Matt Foley Member

Yes, and with the Gayland center opening up, the trojan basketball team is sure to put maybe a dozen fans in the seats.

11. Songbird

At least 'SC beat North Carolina.

OK, that was the only true highlight.

I just saw that USC is opening its new center by hosting South Carolina. So, we have USC versus USC. Trojans versus Cocks.

Who is the ad wizard who came up with that one?!

12. Matt Foley

Matt Foley Member

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA, are you serious, Trojans vs. Cocks, someone really is a marketing genius.

Draft saved Draft deleted