1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I Used to Write for Sports Illustrated. Now I Deliver Packages for Amazon.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Slacker, Dec 25, 2018.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

If someone's looking for a job doing deliveries, one is open.

studthug12, Smallpotatoes and garrow like this.
  2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Good and popular are often not intertwined as it relates to podcasts.

Waldo9939 likes this.
  3. clintrichardson

clintrichardson Active Member

I wish Austin well is his new job, and I hope that in six months he writes another big-picture piece, this about re-entering the world of daily newspapers after so long at SI. While he also wrote for SI.com, I would be curious to hear how much of a shock this new job is to the system.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Going from SI back to the Boston Globe sports in its heydey would have been a bit of a comedown. And as great as the PD is (locally owned, well-funded) itit still is going to be different. Granted - I doubt he's going to be hanging out in the office much.

5. HanSenSE

I'm wondering where the heck he fits in, though. I'm looking at their website and seeing four columnists covering Bay area sports. Phil Barber does most of the heavy lifting, Grant Cohn is mostly hot takes/clickbait and it appears Bob Padecky and CW Nevius are part-timers.

6. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

Padecky was a longtime peeps columnist who retired a few years back if I recall correctly. Nevius was a weird hire since he was an SF political columnist forever.

Grant Cohn ... let’s just say I’m in no way a fan.

7. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Nevius was a sports columnist before he was a political columnist.

8. DanOregon

I'm curious - who is the "go to" Bay Area columnist now? Figure most are either at The Athletic, retired, or doing something else.

9. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Well, writing that clickbait story worked, the new job found him.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  10. HanSenSE

I've been thinking about it all day and I have to say, I don't know.
    In San Jose and Oakland, Dieter Kurtenbach is a bit too new school for me (YMMV). And as noted, Mark Purdy is retired and Kawakami and Marcus Thompson are at The Athletic. In San Francisco, Scott Ostler, Ann Killion and Bruce Jenkins are solid (I enjoy Ostler's Sunday notes and Jenkins' Three-Dot Lounge on Saturdays), but none screams "read me" like Ray Ratto.

11. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Is his podcast popular?

12. DanOregon

So the Chron's youngest columnist is 55? Didn't realize Ostler and Jenkins were both over 65.

Draft saved Draft deleted