1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I should've been a rockstar

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by OnTheRiver, Jan 23, 2008.

1. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

I have a friend who played with John Mayer before he was any big deal. Mayer gets his recording deal and goes to my friend to be in the band. My friend's girlfriend asked him when he was going to grow up and realize music wasn't a real career, so he turns down the offer.

Is also friends with Dave Matthews and several other artists. Now he does studio and concert recording in StL and writes the about.com page about in-home recording studios.

He's had a few recording deals with bands himself, but he's really overweight and the company always tells him to lose or he won't go on the road and they'll get a different guitar player to go. He's tried a couple of times, but doesn't have the willpower to make the real effort to lose. The recording companies always give in and let him tour anyway.

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

One of my good friends was in this pretty good band during high school, but he had to bail because the practices interfered with some church functions. They got another bassist and, a couple months later, they recorded an album -- nothing major; they weren't that good. But they made a few extra bucks and were the talk of the school. So was my friend, only for a different reason.

I still have the album, and every once in a while when he's in my car, I throw it in the player. I think it's funny. He doesn't.

Draft saved Draft deleted