1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I ran over a squirrel, and I don't feel real good

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Simon_Cowbell, May 5, 2007.

1. KP

KP Active Member

Who wants lunch?
    Is it Kentucky where you can keep your roadkill for meat?

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Don't let Moffitt know — he'll explode with sadness.

3. My favorite story is from a girl I knew who hit a wild turkey. She was depressed about it but I couldn't help laugh when she told the story: "There were feathers everywhere." :'(

4. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

if there is any justice, there's one ex in my life who will come back as a squirrel and me as a car with sudden but temporary brake failure.

5. EE94

EE94 Guest

I'm guessing an armadillo would sound and feel a bit like a person, or vice versa. Considering how drunk you say you were, you might want to microfiche the obits from that week

6. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Hit a hedgehog a couple of weeks ago on my way into work. It just darted into the road, trying to cross, I tried to line myself up so the tires wouldn't hit it. I failed and it felt like a little speedbump as I drove over it.
    Ugly thing was that it was still there, laying in the road when I drove home from work 7-8 hours later and it was still there the next day. This was on a road the police use all the time going to and from the police station, so they could have called a road crew to remove it.

7. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I take offense to that. :D

8. boots

boots New Member

I guess the squirrel's name wasn't Rocky and he didn't have a friend named Bullwinkle.

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I think it's somewhat encouraging that taking a life, any life, bothers you.

10. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

I ran over a squirrel by a cemetery. Funny thing is, there were two other flattened ones on the side of the road where I hit this one. I remember that “Shoe” cartoon when Skyler poses the question of what that spot on the road is. The answer is “PSD — Poor Squirrel Decision.” And, the little bastards have a propensity, much like rabbits, to make it to the other side of the road, change their minds, then go back whence they came. It is on the return trip where I've thumped more than my share.
    And, it tears me up when I hit one. Always say a little prayer for it.
    But I'd much rather hit a squirrel or a rabbit than a skunk. That smell stays with the vehicle for a long, long time.

11. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I hit a possum a few years ago and felt terrible about it. I just remember seeing his head bleeding in the rearview mirror.

12. I've hit a squirrel and a rabbit before, and felt terrible about it.

The other night, I hit a possum and for whatever reason, felt far less bad about the possum than the other two. I just whaled the thing too. It was far more gruesome.

Mrs. Crazy Cat and I just moved about a month ago to a town about 10 minutes northwest of the main city in our area. The road that connects the two is littered with roadkill, far more than I've ever seen along any stretch before on a regular basis. We've dubbed it Suicide Avenue, because it must be where animals come to die.

Draft saved Draft deleted