1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I quit my job. Now what?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by pallister, May 9, 2008.

1. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

My friend recently left his journalism-related job to go into PR. He has a normal 9-5 work week, has weekends to himself and gets paid more money. Only thing is it took about 6-months to find the job. Don't know what you're going to find in this economy. But you have bigger ballz than me, so good luck.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Your biggest mistake was you didn't wait to get let go... Given the state of the industry you have to figure that was coming within the next few months... :D

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

http://www.prsa.org/jobcenter/?WT.mc_id=NewJobCenteTopNav

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I'm quitting my job without another lined up and moving across the country.

I feel you pallister, there is something freeing about it.

I'm hoping to get some stringing opportunities and if all else fails, I am going to work construction with my brother - making twice as much as I do now - until something in newspaper opens up.

The biggest force behind my move was not only unhappiness in my personal life - I like my job for the most part - but a desire to live somewhere cooler than West Texas while I am still young and can up and move.

Good luck, pallister.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Best of luck to both of you -- as long as you steer clear of Cleveland.

6. pallister

pallister Guest

You headed back West, 'Gola? Still on for Seattle?

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Never been there and don't have much desire, except to see the Jake.

Plus, I think I'm too good for that rag there.

8. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Yeah, going back to the Northwest and I am definitely in for Seattle now that it will be a short drive rather than a all-day flight.

9. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I wouldn't just up and quit unless I were forced to AND there were no way to collect unemployment insurance.

That said, if you feel that strongly about needing to change, I wish you the best of luck. Just don't go anywhere near D.C. (Sorry, had to do it. :D)

10. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Wow. Best of luck, pallister. Hope you land on your feet, and soon. Maybe the Drive-By Truckers need roadies.

11. John

John Well-Known Member

I did the same thing about four years ago. I got another job about two months later, which led me to the very good job I have now. I was miserable and could afford to do it (single, no debts), but it was one of the more impulsive things I've ever done.

Spend time each day working on finding a new job, which means doing more than just checking job sites online. Talk to people you know in the business and see if they can help you out in any way.

But don't sit inside all day. Take advantage of the time you have and get outside and do the things you didn't have time to do before.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Sounds scary and liberating all at once. I can't empathize since I'm pretty much a lifer in all ways, but I can wish good luck to one of the conservatives I can put up with. ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted