1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I quit my job. Now what?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by pallister, May 9, 2008.

1. pallister

pallister Guest

I have never been the type to do something as impulsive as quit my job without having another lined up. But that's exactly what I did recently. Maybe it was a midlife crisis kicking in a few years early. I don't know. But I just felt the need to shake things up. Force my own hand, so to speak. Anyhoo, I started this thread primarily to be mocked and ridiculed in the grand tradition of SportsJournalists.com. However, I wouldn't mind if I got a little feedback regarding resources I could use to search for journalism-related jobs outside of newspapers. I know where to look to find another newspaper gig, and that's my primary focus right now. But I now have a chance to see what else is out there (including a nonjournalism career if it's the right fit) and I'd appreciate any help from sj nation. I'm open to any feedback and/or suggestions — with the exception of anything Zeke would post.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Well, first get another job lined up.

Then quit to your heart's content.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It can be a great move because it forces you to do something else. It's too easy to just keep doing what you're doing.

4. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Follow Moddy and head into academia. That's going to be my plan very soon.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

You have a huge pair to quit before something was lined up.

Is the NCAA News still a good source?

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/portal/!ut/p/kcxml/04_Sj9SPykssy0xPLMnMz0vM0Y_QjzKLN4g3NPUESYGYxqb6kWhCjhgihqYeCDFfj_zcVH1v_QD9gtzQ0IhyR0UAE3AuRw!!/delta/base64xml/L3dJdyEvUUd3QndNQSEvNElVRS82XzBfTFU!?CONTENT_URL=http://www2.ncaa.org/portal/employment/

6. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

I have no suggestions, but I admire your courage. Good luck.

7. pallister

pallister Guest

That's exactly why I did it. I had to break the "Groundhog Day" monotony my career and, by extension, my life had become.

8. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Whatever you do, just stay away from the Midwest.

Thank you in advance.

9. pallister

pallister Guest

Midwest, here I come!

10. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

You have a way to pay your bills, put food on the table and gas in your car? There's assignment No. 1.

Once you have that solved, find something you like to do.

11. pallister

pallister Guest

I'm fine through the summer. Not having another job lined up is, obviously, the biggest hurdle. But I haven't completely abandoned my responsible side.

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

I guess that can work if you're single and responsible to nobody but yourself.
    I couldn't have done it 10 years ago when I was married and owned a house and had a mortgage to pay. But I'd do it now -- old, divorced and happy on my own -- if I were that unhappy with my job and life (which I'm not).

Draft saved Draft deleted