1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I need the insight of experienced journalists ... please help.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Millionaire, Mar 10, 2008.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

You can definitely do that. A pack of hot dogs is less than a buck and you can boil them on the stove.

As for actual advice, you sound like you have the right attitude — i.e., not expecting to start at a 250K major metro covering an NFL beat straight out of college. If you're willing to go anywhere and do anything, you'd be amazed at how many doors open up. Dying business or no, there are still hundreds of papers in this country and tons of other media outlets. You might not make a lot of, if any, money for a while but there are jobs to be had.
    Don't necessarily commit yourself to starting at the 5K weekly. Aim high if you believe you've got the talent. But don't freak out either. If you've got the skills, and it sounds like you just might, you'll land on your feet.

2. Ira_Schoffel

Ira_Schoffel Member

Great post.

Millionaire, your comments show that you've got more common sense than many of us had at your age. And your passion will serve you well.

Don't let this board scare you away from your dreams. But definitely have a plan.

Covering a college beat, I deal with a lot of young writers. What I tell them is unless you've got connections with a metro or a really strong mid-sized paper, don't be too choosy about your first job. Just get in somewhere and start writing. Write as much as you can -- gamers, features, notebooks, enterprise, even columns (if they'll allow) -- and write some more. Try to help out in news whenever they need a hand. View that first year or two as basic training. Just keep honing your skills.

Then, when you feel ready to make the next move, it's time to be more selective. Look for a paper that produces good copy and good people. Maybe they have a great editor or sports editor. Or maybe they're a feeder paper to a larger metro. Wherever it is, make sure it's a place that will give you the freedom to write some good stuff -- not just make you hack out two or three 12-inch stories a day. Force yourself to write an enterprise piece or some lengthy features. Those are the clips that will stand out in trying to get your next gig.

After that, you'll be about 4-5 years in ... and you should have some solid options. If this business is really going to hell, you'll know by then. Whatever happens, talented reporters will have a place to work somewhere -- whether in print, online or in a different new media. But even if you decide to bail, you'll have a strong enough body of work that you probably could make a move into any of a number of professions -- PR, media relations, teaching, etc.

The great myth when you're in school is that once you get your degree, you'll be stuck in that line of work forever. The truth is, most businesses are just looking for good people. If you've got a good track record and interview well, many companies will take a chance on you even if you are inexperienced in their field.

If you need any help with the job search, feel free to send me a PM.

Best of luck.

3. McLovin

McLovin New Member

I firmly believe if you do have talent, things will work out for you -- as long as you have the right attitude. And it definitely seems like you do. Your willingness to go anywhere the opportunity is will serve you well and your skills should take care of the rest.

I'm still young as well, 23 years old, but I've still done OK for myself in the shitty job market over the last couple of years. I went to a school that didn't even have a journalism program or communications or anything like it (I majored in History). I had never even had an internship before initially applying for jobs. But my clips from the school paper and freelance work landed me a job at a small shop. My clips from the small shop landed me a sports reporting gig at a 50K paper in another state after a year and a half, where I am now. I got this job by just by sending out clips blind. I didn't know anyone at my current shop, but my clips were enough.

Again, if you have talent and have done good work and can do more good work, you should be OK.

As far as "making it," I don't know. It depends on what your definition of that is. Obviously, it's possible to have a comfortable life working as a journalist. The big papers pay well (enough). I can tell you as a young single guy, I'm able to do OK. I have been able to save a little bit. I have some disposable income. I was able to buy the first season of The Wire on DVD yesterday and not feel guilty about it.

This profession is probably isn't the place to make your millions, but you'll be able to survive and have a lot of fun doing your job. So it's probably worth a try.

4. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I would say find a backup plan that you can at least tolerate that will help you pay the bills if journalism doesn't work out. I don't know what your major is, but if it's something other than journalism, you'll find that can open your doors to other careers.

However, it seems that you have the right mix of idealism and realism and a good combination of talent and humility, plus a strong dose of work ethic. Those will carry you a long way no matter where your career path takes you. If you can bring that mix out in a job interview, you stand an excellent chance at getting a gig at a number of papers. I know you'd stand a great chance of working for me if I'm hiring.

Personally, when I've had a chance to hire people, the thing that I've looked at the most has been clips. If you have strong clips, I give you more than a cursory look. I don't know about the other people on here who do hiring, but I also looked at whether a person would fit in with the people currently at the job when I made a hiring decision in the past.

I guess what I'm getting at is this: Don't give up your dream, but have a backup plan.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Millionaire,

You say you are graduating from college soon -- presumably with a degree in journalism -- and want to be a sports writer.

Have you had any internships? If so, how did those go.

If not, why not?

Those are the best way to be real-world experience beyond the school paper and make some connections with folks in the business.

If you have year heart set on it, you need to take advantage of every break you can make for yourself.

6. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Mr Millionaire,

Before I went to j-school a guy around the corner from me, maybe three years older, already enrolled there, told me not to bother. Too tough, no jobs, only the very best, etc. I ignored him but it rattled me.

When I was in j-school, my magazine instructor told me not to bother with a good story idea because it would take an experienced writer. I listened to him and took his advice. I shouldn't have, my mistake.

Kick ass. Be ruthless if you have to. Be kind whenever you can. Accept advice, but don't let it fester into doubt.

YD&OHS, etc

7. Off the top of my head, two names: Jon Paul Morosi and Ben Shpigel. Both were covering major beats for major papers while still in their 20s. Talent rises. If you're as good and as hard-working as you say you are, there will always be opportunity. Morosi, I know, worked his butt off getting his name out, doing any freelance project he could find. He was relentless. It worked. Of course, it worked because he's good, but follow his lead. Don't get down on the business if that's what you want to do. There will always be a market for good communicators. Good luck.

8. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

You will regret it in the future if you don't at least give it a shot.

9. huntsie

huntsie Active Member

If you're good, and hard working, and persistent, it will happen for you. Good writers and reporters find their way in.

10. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

This country produces 35,000 lawyers each year. Somehow, Japan manages to trundle on with a fraction of that depressing number.

We need lovers and dreamers, worse than ever. If journalism gives you that then more power to you.

11. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Well yeah one of them went to Harvard.

Millionaire.... I hope you go to Harvard.

Seriously though, I just recently graduated. Things aren't as good as they could be, but I've never wanted to be anything other than a sports writer and eventually a columnist. I'd rather be in this line of work and fail because it is a dying industry than be a doctor, lawyer, or something else that sounds fulfilling to someone else.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

And lovers are getting $5,500 a pop, I hear.

Draft saved Draft deleted