1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I need help sj.com with wife and a high school reunion

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 93Devil, Nov 11, 2008.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I've already called her and said I am going solo.

The in-laws thing is on her side. My mom made a few odd comments about what she did in 1969 with me (water and milk too soon) and my wife freaked out.

Trust me, my mom is great with Lil 93. My wife trusts Lil 93 with me. Heck, she has even gone away on scrapbooking weekends with just me and the lil stinker.

If she trusts me, she can trust my mom.

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

What if everyone else is inside? I doubt this is any kind of a red-carpet deal.

Expensive car = outside and out of sight.
    Expensive hooker = inside and in plain sight.
    Therefore, expensive hooker > expensive car.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  3. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I don't know why anyone would want to go to a spouse's reunion. I went solo to the two I've been to. My wife wanted me at her 10-year reunion. I've spent more boring nights, but not too many.

I don't really care about the people she knew 30 years ago. I sure don't care about their spouses. And at my reunions, I want to spend time talking to the people I haven't seen in 30 years, not making sure my wife's got the backstory on the guy who wrecked his dad's Mercedes driving over train tracks.

Go solo and enjoy yourself.

4. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Ask yourself, "If every thing goes as well as possible, what will be the outcome?"

At the very best, she isn't completely bored to tears and nothing goes wrong with the kiddo.

The outcome will be that you won't be completely in the dog house, but you'll still owe her big time.

If anything, and I mean anything, goes wrong, you're dog poop on a paper plate.

If some classmate gets drunk and insults her, if you ignore her or have one too many, if your child breaks a nail ...

Anything.

Take a picture of her with you and go my yourself.

If there's a real "friend" who hasn't met your wife yet, their will probably be a time during the weekend when that can be arranged.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Echo the others on here. Go by yourself.

I went to one of my wife's reunions. None of the friends she grew up with was there, so we mostly made small talk with people who barely knew her. She and I laughed about it later. Plus, my parents watched our little one, so we treated it like a rare night out for ourselves.

Then my wife went to my reunion, and really didn't have much fun. We had more than one kid then, and she was tired from the day, and really just wanted to go home to go to bed while I wanted to stay longer. So it wasn't a very good time.

6. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Go by yourself. Mama will be happy, unless she develops a jealous streak about you and an the old H.S. flame. ;) :D ;D

I have no desire to go to my MrsExpendable's reunions. If she ever wants to go, I'll tag along if asked. She came to my tenth, because she and my best friend's wife are in the same field, professionally. Heck, them calling each other regularly is how I keep up with what's going on with my best friend, oddly enough.

7. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I went to hers, was bored. She went to a couple of mine because there was free golf but usually doesn't go. Not many people bring their spouse. One guy brought his mom, which was a bit strange. Never met her while her son and I were in school.

8. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Him mom? Why?

9. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

I wasn't going to go to my 20th, but Mr. Rosie not only talked me into it, he came with - his choice. He enjoyed it, but that's him.

I'll echo what Flash said. Her not trusting your parents is a much bigger problem. And for the record, I don't give a rat's heiny what the current medical fad says, milk before 12 months is not going to damage a child beyond repair. I'll probably get slammed for saying it, but my kids had milk before their first birthdays and they're just fine.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

She is getting better.

Her parents were nurses and she knows all the possible things that can go wrong. She also works with special needs children, so that does not help dissuade her fear of something happening.

Mrs. 93 is a wonderful mother and we have a happy, happy baby. Grandparents are all very happy as well.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Other than that second head and third arm thing...

12. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Queencreole went to her 10th and I couldn't have cared any less to go. But then again, I feel the same way about my reunions.

Draft saved Draft deleted