1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I need an innovative idea

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by alleyallen, Jun 28, 2006.

1. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I've been doing some out-of-work writing and I'm trying to come up with a couple of ideas.

To wit: I'm looking for a couple of interesting concepts for reducing crime, cleaning up pollution, increasing income, etc., all at the city or municipal level. Just a couple. If it's one you've reported on, all the better.

I appreciate any help y'all may be able to provide.

P.S., if this belongs on the journalism board, let me know.

2. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Check out the most recent season of The Wire for an idea for reducing crime.

Hamsterdam.

3. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

The Wire? Need a little help. I'm not familiar with it.

4. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

It's an HBO show about Baltimore cops. One of the police guys told all the drug dealers in his neighborhood that he would leave them alone if they all went to one location removed from residential areas to sling their stuff.

5. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Good start. Thanks FDP.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Wind farming. Polllution-free energy.

8. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

This may not be an innovative idea, or an idea at all, as much as it is a rant... But here goes.

Regarding pollution.

What ever happened to the concept of the "multi-pronged approach"?  Our society seems only satisfied with easy, one-word solutions.  i.e. The solution is:  Bicycles!  (No, that won't work.)  The solution is:  Carpooling!  (Won't work.)  It's:  Ethanol!  (Too many problems.)  It's:  Hybrids!  (Too expensive.)  Hydrogen Cars!  (Drawbacks.)

Imagine if we put effort into combining all of these attack strategies.  That would make a dent in the problem.  But people are reluctant to try any one thing because that one thing is constantly being dismissed.

I read a big article on Ethanol in the NYT last Sunday.  Ethanol is a very cool proposed solution.  It has many problems, but it could be one big piece in the puzzle.

Our impatience and cynicism seem to be getting the best of us.

9. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Good rant Lugs and good idea.

I came up with one concept on my own, although whether or not it would work, or even be legal, is not as big a concern. It's the idea that matters.

My concept would be centered in a large college town (i.e., Norman). Students arrested for crimes like underage drinking or MIP, public intox, trespassing, etc., could have the charge (and conviction) expunged immediately if they pay a fine and perform a certain level of public service (lifeguarding, park cleanup, waste management, etc.).

10. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Wasn't there a West Wing episode where all the alt-fuels people were in the same room bashing each other's proposals in an attempt to make their's look better?

11. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Wow - That writer really had a handle on reality! I don't think I saw that one.

12. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Yes. Season 6, I believe.

Draft saved Draft deleted