1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I need an 80s movie (and a 90s one, etc.)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KJIM, Dec 23, 2014.

1. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

I'd go Reality Bites for 90s, Valley Girl for the 80s.

2. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Thanks! I still have some time to decide. Love the suggestions, even if some won't work. I really like "the Breakfast Club," but it has been on Tv here recently.
    Next outreach series is going to be true America in movies, ans that's when Erin Brokavich and Appollo 13 will happen.
    Am on vacation now and just checking in. Will give more thought when I get home.
    Keep them coming!

3. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Actually, Versatile mentioned it on the first page. That would be my pick for the 1990s as well, with Ferris for the 1980s or "Field of Dreams."
    Another 80s possibility: "National Lampoon's Vacation." And maybe "Ghostbusters."

4. Ookpik

Ookpik Member

I second WarGames for the 80's movie.

Cold war fear, early personal computer usage, hacking, video arcade games in an actual arcade, Global Thermonuclear War, “The only way to win is not to play,” etc.

Plus a young Ally Sheedy.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

But nothing on the soundtrack that's close to something like The Plimsouls.

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I don't think any movie is going to be able to accurately represent an entire decade for a nation.
    Especially a nation as broad and diverse as the US.
    The same is true of places such as China and the former USSR.
    A movie might be a touchstone for a cultural insider, but that does not make it an accurate representation. The cultural insider gets the caricature and hyperbole, and he/she understands that 'Red Dawn' or 'Ferris Buehler' are each a very small piece of a much larger mosaic.
    Someone on the outside looking in does not necessarily comprehend that level of complexity.

7. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I like Bull Durham for the 80s, although there's some language.

8. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Red Dawn, Officer and a Gentleman, Top Gun, Pretty in Pink, Fast Times at Ridgemont High are great 80s movies in my opinion.

Draft saved Draft deleted