1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I must be old, because this column was great (Phil Taylor: The Day Cool Died)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by kleeda, Jul 13, 2008.

1. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

I didn't say it was original, I said it was good. And the good old days were better (as subject line to the thread hinted at).

2. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

If you're calling Garnett a 'dull player', I want to hear what you consider Tim Duncan.

Execution falls flat...I don't buy this whole 'cool thing and the whole piece was pretty cliche. The more fun, charismatic, over-the-top celebrations in sports, the better for the viewer. It just sounds like something forced down our throats by ESPN.

3. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Kevin Garnett came across as a complete fucking dumbass in that postgame.

4. pallister

pallister Guest

I call Tim Duncan dull, too, but he's consistent. No cheesy, forced, I'm-gonna-be-on-Sportscenter (hi, bostonbred) celebrations after he's won titles.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

ding ding ding.

It was even worse than forced. It was LOOK AT ME I'VE SUFFERED FOR SO LONG AND THIS CHAMPIONSIHP IS FOR ME!!! FOR ME!!! FOR ME!!!! BECAUSE I PLAYED IN MINNESOTA FOR MORE THAN 10 YEARS AND NEVER SNIFFED ANYTHING! THIS IS ALL ABOUT ME!!! ME!!! ME!!! AND I'M GOING TO OVERACT MORE THAN CARY ELWES IN SAW!!! LOOK AT ME!!! I'M SO HAPPY!!!!

It was physically uncomfortable to watch Garnett--who always seemed like a pretty good dude, especially for a superstar--to act like a complete asshole in his moment of triumph.

6. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

Umm, except it was an SI column.

7. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Which is what made it such great television.

From his "Anthing is Possible!" war cry, to his uncontrollable sobbing to his rambling shoutouts to hitting on Michelle Tafoya to his bearhug with Bill Russell...one of the more entertaining and fun postgame celebrations I've seen.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Great television = because it was a Boston guy doing it

I imagine you'd feel differently if it was Kobe chanting, sobbing, rambling, hitting on reporters and hugging legends.

9. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

That's my point. Ideally, SI is above this gimmicky shit.

10. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

Your handle, I think, would make you admittedly biased.

For those of us inclined to pronounce "R" correctly, it was a goofball saying "anything is possible" after winning a championship on a team chosen by nearly everyone on the planet to win a title before the first ball was bounced in the preseason.

11. pallister

pallister Guest

If you were trying not to come off as the World's No. 1 Fanboy, bb, you failed.

12. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Absolutely not. It's sports, a mere game, and these professional athletes spend their lives trying to win a ring. More athletes should let loose but are scared to stray from the Jordan blueprint.

Draft saved Draft deleted