1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I miss Piggly Wiggly (where do you shop for groceries?)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by wedgewood, May 24, 2007.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

You said on line. Here we say in line.
    For some stupid ass reason, that's a regional difference that has always fascinated me. Weird.

Carry on.

2. Moderator1

I don't want to out Leo even by location but there's a region of the country where they say on line.

You are not ON the line, you are IN the line.
    They see it another way. No right/wrong, I've just always found it curious.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Kind of like regional differences in sandwiches: some say subs, others po'boys, others grinders.

4. I say shopping cart. My southern wife says buggy.

Dumb wife. :)

5. Songbird

W-b, that reminds me of the Andy Rooney piece on 60 Minutes about 10 years ago about him always getting the one cart with a bum wheel. It was rather funny.

6. Moderator1

My wife just snaps her fingers and her grocery bitch wheels the thing behind her. Yes, dear.
    Grinder is a New England thing, right? I cover a game up there years ago and SID asks me if I'd like a grinder. I said no but those subs look good.

7. Songbird

Oh shit, Mod, that's funny.

8. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

Threadjack:

What do you call the meal you eat in the evening? In the South, if you live in a rural area it's "supper", but in the cities it's "dinner". It amused my Mom to no end that after my first semester of college, I started talking citified.

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Pop, soda or coke, Moddy?

10. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

sub/hoagie, pop, dinner and I will not be argued on these.

11. My experience is that everything on a po'boy is fried - that's why I don't like 'em very much - and grinders are toasted while subs are not.

12. Songbird

Dinner.

To that end, in some places at the store they'll ask, "What kind of sack do you want?" Where I grew up it was "bag."

NOT POP! DO NOT POP!

Draft saved Draft deleted