1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I mean, if Big Papi can drop an F-bomb on TV...?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by spikechiquet, Apr 21, 2013.

1. I'm betting you can make more in newspapers in North Dakota than as an entry-level TV reporter. On-air talent for one network affiliate in Fargo were making $10/hr a few years ago.

As for the non-compete, who will hire him in Bismarck? Don't think the CBS affiliate will come calling, and that's the only other station that has a local newscast in the market.

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

The non-compete -- if it exists -- is a complete non-issue. He's not getting hired by the other station in Bismarck. Any outpouring of support he's getting is coming from people who saw this on Gawker, not from viewers in the market.

3. NDJournalist

NDJournalist Active Member

Unless I'm mistaken, non-compete clauses in television prevent on-air personalities from taking another on-air job anywhere in the country until the clause expires. But I could be wrong.

4. PCLoadLetter

You are mistaken.

There is a difference between a contract and a non-compete clause. If he signs a two-year contract in Bismarck and after one year he decides he wants to take a job in West Virginia, they can hold him to the terms of his contract and prevent the move.

A non-compete clause is market-specific. It would block him from moving to another station in the same market for a set period of time.

He could be hired by another station today. He won't be, but legally, he's totally clear of Bismarck.

5. Obviously, PC :) A.J. isn't Ernie Anastos.

6. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Fixed that for ya.

7. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

I've never been a fan of hyphenating dumbass.

8. PCLoadLetter

That's a pretty impressive career. There aren't many people who can change jobs in TV that many times without ever having to sell their house.

9. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Yeah, but I did it for ND so he wouldn't stumble over it.

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Your new Bismarck anchor...Rebecca Martinson

11. NDJournalist

NDJournalist Active Member

What is your deal, Rip?

12. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

He doesn't like creepers.

Draft saved Draft deleted