1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I may have unintentionally pulled a George O'Leary

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Baron Scicluna, Nov 17, 2008.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Like a lot of others on here, I'm worried about my job, and my future. So I'm starting to look at my options.

One thing I did was contact my alma mater and request my college transcripts for my future plans, one of which may be going back to school.

When I received it in the mail, there was an inaccuracy. I had two majors in college, and completed the requirements for both for my degree. On my transcript is all my classes and grades, but just one major.

I have always listed both my majors on my resume, and the major that is not listed in my transcript is the one that I have used to get all my jobs.

I contacted the registrar's office, and they are going to 'review' my transcript. The woman I spoke to asked if I had filled out all the paperwork. I told I had, 15 YEARS AGO.

So now, I'm in limbo.

The rational person in me thinks this will all get resolved with a simple correction to my transcript. But lately, I've been so stressed out from various issues, this is driving me a little nuts. The pessimist in me is thinking that the school won't change my transcript. And at worst, I feel like I've unintentionally been a fraud, even though I've done everything required.

Thanks for letting me vent.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

With you being that far out of college, would anybody even check with the university?

3. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

I was going to say something else about recent O'Leary-isms, but I decided in the best interests not to go there.

4. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Never say never, dude.

Local school board president, a woman in her late-40s, had fraudulently stated she graduated from local Private U. PU has no record of her graduating. She says she did, yet refuses to provide a diploma/transcripts.

While the Baron may not be in the public light, he shouldn't take a chance on not correcting the higher education transcripts.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If you're applying to a newspaper, nobody will care as long as you graduated and they might not even care about that.

Outside of journalism they actually check this stuff. When I was applying for jobs I had a couple request my transcript from 12 years ago, which just stunned the hell out of me.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

UPDATE: Situation resolved.

School representative calls me back today. Apparently, the school screwed up in the late 90s when they converted from paper records to computer records, and my second major never was recorded.

Lady was very nice, and apologetic, and said they were mailing out the new transcripts in the mail today. So, this is one problem of many that I have solved.

I kind-of felt weird, after writing the first post, because I usually have perspective on things like this, with people having health worries and all. But I figured it would be an interesting story, anyways.

Actually, my mother had a similar problem in high school 50 years ago, only it didn't have a happy ending.

My grandfather had died during her senior year, and she was, needless to say, pretty depressed for the whole year. She later said that she thought the teachers pretty much gave her passing grades because they felt sorry for her.

Anyways, she took an English class that her guidance counselor told her she needed in order to graduate. She took it and passed. Only problem was, the counselor was wrong, and she needed a different English class. So, she ended up one credit short by the end of the school year.

The school, with the compassion of the late 1950s, didn't let her walk for graduation in her cap and gown, even though it was the school's F'Up on the class. She ended up going to night school while working to complete her HS diploma.

Today, of course, the school would either have let her walk in her cap and gown, or there would have been lawyer threats and 'Donna Martin graduates' protests. But back in my mom's time, the school's word was law.

I guess my mom's situation kind of was in the back of my mind with my own transcript issues over the weekend.

7. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Glad to hear its been resolved, and apparently pretty painlessly.

Good luck for the future Baron.

Draft saved Draft deleted