1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I Loved 1968. Let's do it again!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Fenian_Bastard, Dec 6, 2006.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Those Were the Days may have been the first big non-Beatles hit for Apple Records. And Judy in Disguise rocks, and was naughty for its time, paving the way for Donna Summer's cries in Love to Love You. Tighten Up and Harper Valley PTA rule, too.

2. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

It's Garfunkel, folks, G-A-R-F-U-N-K-E-L.

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

It was. It and "Hey Jude" were the first two records released on the label. In the UK, they followed each other to No. 1 on the chart. In the States, the Fabs kept Mary Hopkin at No. 2.

IIRC, Paul McCartney also produced "Those Were The Days." And "Harper Valley PTA" does indeed rule. Written by Nashville songwriting legend Tom T. Hall.

I can't listen to that song once without wanting to listen to it again. Awesome song. "96 Tears" is a great song too, but the party atmosphere of "Double Shot" puts it over the top for me.

And, from spnited's list, I also enjoy when Herb Alpert comes on the radio with "This Guy's In Love With You." I like it far better than any of his instrumental records.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Great song, but I like Alpert's instrumentals too.

Whipped Cream And Other Delights. What an album cover.

5. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

Apple's best non-Beatle act was Badfinger (No Matter What, completely Beatlesque Come and Get It, Baby Blue). Saw them at the Victory Burlesque on Spadina on their last ever tour. How bad is it if you're playing in front of 300 at a seedy strip club? Bad enough for Pete Ham (one half of duelling slide guitars on Day After Day, the other G Harrison) to hang himself a year later. One of the great suicide notes of all time, too. I did feel guilty that I booed them.

YHS, etc

6. Hate to admit it. Rags. but I always kind of liked Harper Valley PTA.
    And everybody's right about "Judy In Disguise."

7. Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell

Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell Active Member

Dans une société qui a aboli toute aventure, la seule aventure qui reste est celle d'abolir la société!

8. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

If you're only counting eight, you're probably leaving out "Young Girl."
    That song rocks.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

A couple panned it, I supported it. So which "everybody" is right? And you've taken everything in sight, except for the strings in my kite.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Motown or Mo Rocca... hmmm, let's think about this...

mo Motown!

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

October 14 - Vietnam War: The United States Department of Defense announces that the United States Army and United States Marines will send about 24,000 troops back to Vietnam for involuntary second tours.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I count 12 great ones but that list does not come close to doing 1968 justice :

Light MY fire - Jose feliciano
    Time - The chambers brothers
    Susie Q - Creedance
    Think - Aretha
    Elenore - Turtles
    Revolution -
    Jumpin Jack Flash
    Hurdy Gurdy Man

Draft saved Draft deleted