1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I Love The Smell Of Panic In The Morning

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Fenian_Bastard, Oct 26, 2006.

1. Thanks for confirming you have no respect for those who disagree with you, Zeke. Guess I misjudged you.

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

While it's nice to see Ford take the high road, I was kind of hoping for him to take Dan Savage's advice:

"Harold Ford should film a response to the GOP’s racist attack ad. He should look into the camera and say this:

The Republicans have accused me of being a heterosexual man. They’re implying that I have an interest in women. It would seem that today’s Republican Party is more comfortable with elected officials—male elected officials—who take an interest in teenage boys. Mark Foley is acceptable to Ken Mehlman’s GOP. Heterosexual men, it seems, are not.

Is it gay baiting? Yes it is, but so fucking what? African Americans in the GOP turn a blind eye to the the race-bating that their party indulges in. Condi Rice, Colin Powell, and Ken Blackwell haven’t had much to say about this ad, huh? Because they don’t care what their party says or does so long as it keeps ‘em in power.

If a little gay-baiting helps the Dems seize power, shit, gay bait away, Harold. Make that ad, Harold, and this fag will send you a big, fat, fucking gay check."

And try not to trip on your backpedal, there, Lyman. What's tacky about the ad if it isn't racist?

I have plenty of respect for those who disagree with me. Just not you. But making vast generalizations and strawman arguments seems to be your MO these days.

The ad is racist on its face. You don't think so? Explain why not. Make an actual argument instead of hiding behind right-wing buzz phrases like "mainstream media."

That I would respect.

3. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Straight, to the point, turns the tables quickly and efficiently without saying anything nasty about the other guy. That's a slapdown.

And by the way, maybe you've been conducting your own polling in Tennessee, but from what I can tell, Ford has a rather comfy lead on Corker. And this poll was before all this racist ad shit went down.

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/2006/State%20Polls/TennesseeSenate.htm

4. I'm not backpeadling on it, Zeke. Some of the acting is over the top.

But I see nothing racist about it. Mostly because I don't see Ford as a "black candidate," like apparently you do. I see him as a candidate, nothing more.

The left is ever-so-quick to play the race card, over and over again. Funny how a group of people that see themselves as colorblind see nothing but color, when the need suits them.

Just like they're ready to bash gays when they happen to be Republicans.

You guys are the ones obsessed with race and sex, not us.

5. I hate to reply to you, asshat, but you need to rely on things other than almost-month-old polls. I'm not much for polls, anyway, but since you brought it up ...

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2006/senate/tn/tennessee_senate_race-20.html

6. RCP.
    Yes, that's where I go for honest numbers.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Can you make any argument without trying to address, "the left", "you guys," or "us"?

Can you make a specific argument? Can you hold individual thoughts about things without conflating them to the current political needs of the American Democratic or Republican parties?

Oh, and you don't "see" race, eh? Do you realize that statement is ludicrous enough to be a running joke on Stephen Colbert's show?

Wonder how that would work if you were black.

8. I guess the LA Times doesn't meet your standards of objectivity?

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Speaking of tacky political ads, there's one airing here on the radio where a candidate is touting his NRA endorsement. After the announcer says "so-and-so will protect gun owner's rights" and before the "this ad is paid for by..." disclaimer, they added a big "Yeeeee-hawwwww."

I own several rifles, pistols and shotguns. But I'm tempted to vote against this candidate just because of that condescending ad.

10. How do you know I'm not?

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Because you don't "see" race.

If you were black, I'd guess you'd be forced to.

But by all means, prove me wrong. Tell me you're black, and you don't think the GOP ad was racist.

G'head, tell me.

12. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Because you'd be the only black male in the United States supporting GWB. And by now, you'd be on every Republican billboard and in every Republican ad from Florida to Washington state. You'd be so busy with photo ops you'd never have time to post here.

Draft saved Draft deleted