1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I Love The New York Post

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Mar 15, 2008.

1. awriter

awriter Active Member

Maybe if someone suggested a tasteful headline?

2. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

Col Allan, the editor of the NY Post, was my editor in Sydney for several years. I have great affection for the man, even if he is bonkers. Col grew up in Dubbo (small town in the outback) and rose to one of the highest positions in Murdoch's empire. How he got there is stuff of legend.
    Moddy, you might want to rethink that desire to sit in on one of his news meetings. I attended a few, but thankfully never had the pleasure of being present when he'd pee in the office sink while conducting the morning meeting. I've several friends who witnessed Col's little habit, but in Australia you just shrug and go back to putting out the paper.

http://sunday.ninemsn.com.au/sunday/cover_stories/transcript_705.asp
    REPORTER: Another who's seen Col Allan's personal antics is ex-Telegraph reporter Stephen Mayne. On his Crikey.com website, Mayne published a story on Col Allan curiously and indelicately titled "Pissing in the Sink".

REPORTER: What did that mean?

COL ALLAN: It meant that I occasionally pissed in the sink.

REPORTER: In your office?

ALLAN: Yep.

REPORTER: Is there a reason for that? What, you wouldn't walk to the bathroom?

ALLAN: Well, there's a long tradition of this here, you see... I mean, a very long and excellent tradition. And let me say it wasn't a frequent thing. And it was done as much to entertain the likes of Mr Mayne, and I'm glad that it's succeeded.

3. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

I guess it makes economic sense to find immigrant labor that will piss in the sink for a fraction of what it usually costs.

Draft saved Draft deleted