1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I Love The Beach

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Aug 7, 2011.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Your dog was allowed at the beach? I don't think I've been on a beach where dogs were allowed.

2. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's the one month out of the year there aren't ice chunks bobbing in Lake Superior ... ;)

If it's hot enough, you'll run in anyway.

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I've lived in two areas in my life, 5,000 miles apart, and at no time was I more than 10 minutes from the beach.

I honestly don't think I could be happy if it took me more than 40 minutes to put my feet in the sand or taste the brine of the sea.

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Oh, and the Great Lakes ain't got shit on the Atlantic or Pacific. Not by a damn sight.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Yep. First one I've seen, too, and lots of people took advantage. Leashed, of course, but there were huge empty stretches where you could take them off and the place was pretty empty early and late, too. We kept her inside during the busy times but she spent a TON of time in the water.

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I know people around the Delaware Valley say 'shore.' It's a NJ thing, but it also extends into Philly and surrounding areas.

7. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I've never lived more than 10 miles from the beach. I don't go all that often anymore, but it's comforting to know it's there.
    Back in the day, I went to the beach every day. My high school was 4 blocks from the beach. My first job was 3 blocks from the beach.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I lived three blocks from the beach for a couple years, then after a long landlocked stint, I'm about a half-mile away. I'm embarrassed to say I almost never go, however.

As for hurricanes....um, yeah. Not a fan. I tell my northern friends "I'll take the chance of hurricanes every year over shoveling snow," but the truth is, I'm lying.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I love the beach -- as long as I'm doing something -- walking, playing frisbee, kayaking, body surfing, snorkeling, whatever. I don't like just sitting there in the sun.

The other plus, is you get a whole relaxing vibe on your vacation. You can relax, not worry about the clock and take it easy.

The beach just makes that easier.

10. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

We go down the shore every weekend and my mother-in-law has a place in a townhouse community right on the water. I love looking at the water, but hate the sand. I'd rather be in the pool.

11. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I'd be a happier person if I lived near the beach.

Draft saved Draft deleted