1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I Love The Beach

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Aug 7, 2011.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

We just got back from our first trip to the beach in more than four years. Not sure why we waited so long - well, there were a variety of reasons - but I won't wait that long again. Had my lone surviving dog and my granddog with me. Both kids were able to spend part of the week there. I'd forgotten how much I enjoy being at the beach - and the dogs probably had more fun than I did.

Just wanted to share. I woke up this a.m., poured a cup of coffee *** and there was no beach right at my back door. I'm bummed.

2. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

I love the beach too. Except every time I go, people keep trying to push me back in the water. Perhaps I should lose a few (hundred) before breaking out the swim trunks.

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I don't love the beach, but I do love being on the water. I could do without the swimming and sand, just toss me down near an uncrowded lake or piece of coastline and I'm golden.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I got a little of the whale thing going on, too, but what the hell?

5. John

John Well-Known Member

I go to Charleston for about a week each spring or summer and I usually spend much of that time walking the beach at Sullivan's Island or Folly Beach.

One of the stops early in my career was at the Outer Banks Sentinel in Nags Head. I lived across the street from the beach. It was heaven. Nothing clears your head quite like a quick swim in the ocean.

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I'm with you, fife.
    I want to live at the shore. Why haven't I gotten a job at and made my life at the shore?
    (Where I live now, they don't call it the shore. But I still call it the shore.)

7. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Life's a beach, and then you post.

8. Key

Key Well-Known Member

I also was at the beach this past week, and also woke up without the sound of the ocean. My 4-year-old absolutely loved the ocean, so that was a lot of fun to watch. I'm not a beach lover, necessarily, but I do enjoy waking up and seeing the blue water stretch out across the horizon, while wondering if I should make a ham biscuit or a bacon biscuit.

9. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Grew up next to the beach -- as in I walked barefoot there from my house -- and am currently trying to find my way back. Luckily, my folks live in the Tampa Bay area and are more than happy to have me return for vacations.

No shame in being big on the beach. If people can't handle it, it's their fault, not yours. Maybe consider full-time shirt action if you're John Pinette-ish, but that's the line.

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

We go to the mountains in Wyoming every summer and it's always great.

But three of my best-ever vacations were three one-week stays on Sanibel Island, less than 50 yards from the beach. Love the sun, the warm water and the scenery.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Beach is fine.

Paying a super premium for windstorm insurance is not. And having to worry about this nonsense every damn year is not.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Don't post the picture, Moddy. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted