1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I love quotes

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by sirvaliantbrown, Sep 3, 2007.

1. Eagleboy

Eagleboy Guest

Yeah, but in the scenario given - that the event wrapped up several hours before deadline - that wasn't an issue. Only once have I had to submit play-by-play for a first edition, and that's only because a player once threw four wild pitches in the top of the ninth to blow the five-run lead. Otherwise, I had a feature all set on the side to throw in when the deadline came and went, but the running gamer was a better option at the time, especially because I called in six minutes later and dictated the score and the result.

2. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

To clarify, it wasn't 600 words of play-by-play. There was some yes. Mainly highlights of scoring plays. But, since this was the opener, I had enough to work with based on last season as well: Team A was semi-cinderella that made a go at a state title, so I could put some of so and so replaced so and so type crap too.

But in answer to your question? No. I didn't want to read it either. But I was there.

And like most everyone else here, I try to quote at minimum both coaches, but usually a key player or two and a coach.
    If I have decent time before deadline, and I don't get quotes, then I would expect to get reprimanded.

But some people seem to take the quote thing to the opposite extreme...using quotes as a crutch. We still have to be able to tell the story. One thing I hate is AP optionals that come in telling me about Joe Blow's career, his day, what he had for breakfast and why he is on fire, and fails to tell me what the hell happened in the game. Not all of our readers are there. I believe in a good balance between play-by-play (not overkill) and quotes, often to set up or elaborate on the play-by-play.
    Too many quotes is just as, if not more lazy than no quotes.

3. BertoltBrecht

BertoltBrecht Member

Agreed. But what if he told you, "I eat pieces of shit like you for breakfast."

4. Try getting quotes from someon before the game...it can help.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i'd rather read what a player had to say after a game than a coach.

6. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Very true. Sometimes my coworkers will only quote coaches after a game and it makes me cringe. They're very good to talk to, because they can help you get a perspective on things, but damn, I want to hear from someone actually on the field.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

seems as though some in our business are afraid of players, though, if it's not a controlled environment. and that's kinda sad.

8. amraeder

Maybe. I haven't been around long enough to figure out what the problem is, only that it's a problem.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i've worked with guys i've known were afraid to be alone with/piss off players.

10. amraeder

Is it a shyness thing, or something else?

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i don't know, dog. to me it appears as though it's a "i'm afraid to ask the wrong question, piss the big fucker off and get my ass kicked" thing.

again, take away the structure, and i see a lotta guys lose a lotta balls. maybe it's just me.

12. amraeder

Huh, interesting.

Draft saved Draft deleted