1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I love me some FBR (Phoenix) Open!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BitterYoungMatador2, Feb 3, 2007.

1. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Don't know if this is posted anywhere, but aside from the four majors, I love watching this tournament. I love the drunks at the 16th hole raising all kinds of hell. It's a different kind of tournament. A more fun tournament to watch. Anyone ever been there, either as a media member or a spectator? Every year I say I'm gonna take vacation time to go and haven't done it yet.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The year the Super Bowl was in Phoenix I went to the first round. Amazing. Had a great time. If there's anything better in this life than a press credential to a great event while not having to file, I haven't run into it.

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Worked eight years in AZ but never got to go because it was right in the middle of college hoops season, so I was always booked.

BTW, what's everyone's take on Mickelson's struggles? Too early to raise any red flags on him?

4. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Drunks, huh? I guess that's why Daly missed the cut.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

6. jimnorden

jimnorden Member

I'd love to spend the day at the 16th. looks like a lot of fun. a buddy of mine forwarded me this blog some guy did from the 16th yesterday. some funny little stories.
    http://www.nbcsports.com/golf/977093/detail.html

7. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

A good buddy of mine, John Reger (formerly the golf writer at the OC Register) is on blog duty Saturday and Sunday. The guy writes his ass off for a variety of publications and this is the first blog he's done.

He called me the other day to tell me he was doing this and said "I don't know what the hell I'm doing." I told him "Dude, this is the perfect medium for you. Just watch and note the interesting things you see. If it interests you, it's probably going to interest everyone else. It's total stream-of-consciousness."

John is a quick learner.

8. jimnorden

jimnorden Member

The guy does great work. The blog is very enjoyable.

9. Editude

Editude Active Member

Good time of year in Phoenix, with this tournament, Suns playing well and spring training starting in a couple of weeks. I still remember walking with Mickelson a few years ago at the Hope, and all he could talk about was his big futures bet on the Ravens to win the Super Bowl. He won a mint when they blasted the Giants.

10. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Can vouch for Reger. Solid guy. Works his arse off on the golf beat.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I loves me some FBR cause I moved up seven spots in our yay-hoo fantasy league...

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Agree with the fun factor of this tournament, but I'm calling bullshit on the 84,000 people in one day and more than 500,000 for the tournament. The hardest ticket in sports is the Masters, and they sell 40,000 tickets total, and you can't move on the course from Thursday-Sunday ... ditto for most U.S. Opens and PGAs, which sell between 30,000-40,000 tickets, and it's crowded as hell. I know the TPC Scottsdale has things a bit more spread out (I've played there, and there's a lot of room for galleries), but there's no way they have double the number of people in a single day as the Masters.

Draft saved Draft deleted