1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I love Apple

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by The Big Ragu, Sep 9, 2011.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

My story:

Apple computers are the lifeblood of my side business. My most recent one is an Imac 27" screen, I7 processor, lots of video memory, loaded with memory. We used to only buy Power Macs and Mac Pros, but the new Imacs were a giant leap forward and with the big screen and power, it can do any graphics work we need (we do publishing work).

This morning, that machine, which is about 7 or 8 months old, wouldn't boot up. Dead as a door stop. I tried everything. 45 minutes of trying things, and it was acting as if the power supply was dead. I call, get the "genius bar" appointment at an Apple store in Manhattan, and then come to the realization that I have to lug this 35 pound, large, bulky, delicate thing to the store. I pack it as best I can and struggle to get it there, wait (40 minute delay beyond the appointment I had) and freakishly, it boots right away there, making me look like an idiot (I know. ... no one has to MAKE me look like one!).

I ask the guy to pack it better for me to bring it back to the office, but all he has is a sleeve that fits over the top. I carry it back (the main problem is that it is bulky), and when I set it on the desk to set it back up, I notice there are four scratches in the glass screen. I want to slit my wrists.

I just spent 45 minutes on the phone with Apple. This is obviously not covered by warranty. My expectations were low as I dialed. But they are going to replace the screen anyhow, after I begged and pleaded my case saying "thank you" 100 times as I got put on hold several times, while the decision kept getting passed around.

I'm kind of stuck being an apple customer because of what we do. But they just did more than right by me.

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

My Macbook wouldn't boot after coming back from vacation a few weeks ago, even after I left it plugged in for 30 minutes. Left it charging overnight and it came back to life.

On a side note, I was at one of the smallest Apple Stores I've seen out in Rockaway, N.J., this morning. Picked up a Macbook Air to replace the Macbook that is likely on its last legs.

3. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

I had an old 3G iPhone that had been just sitting around for about a year after I replaced it with a 3GS. I wanted to let my kids use the old one for games/videos/etc, basically as an iTouch. Problem was, something was wrong with the battery, so it would only hold a charge for about 30 minutes.

Took it into the apple store. Guy says they can't really replace the battery, but they'll give me another one for about $65. They gave me another 3G phone, without the sim card. Basically, it was an iTouch, for $65. I think the new ones were selling for $200. Pretty cool.

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I LOVE LAMP!

5. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

I love that two of the stores on this thread are about products that failed/are acting like they're failing way before their time. No matter how well you are treated, isn't that more of a problem?

Now, I might be biased by the fact that my work has company Macbooks and they are absolute junk or that my iPod Touch, which is less than a year old, has issues with the battery and OS stability. But considering the upcharge they put on their products, I've not been that impressed.

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

My old Macbook has lasted almost five years. How long do you expect them to run?

The Macbooks you use could have a bunch of crap you don't need, but the company insists on loading it up with crappy software. I don't use an anti-virus, don't have 10 programs running at once (Use Apple-Q to quit programs), and run software updates for the OS and other applications. It doesn't hurt to clear your browser cache and cookies, and run the disk verify tool every few months.

7. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Longevity, man. I still have an Apple Powerbook Pismo G3 that still works, after countless road trips, bag drops and the usual rough treatment. Also have a pair of G4 Quicksilvers that are purring along, with little to no maintenance done on them. Aside from just loving how less clunky (technologically) Apples are, I just love the machines.

Mac Addict for Life!

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

My experiences haven't been yours. I have owned more Apple Computers than I can count. Sometimes things have problems, like my problem today. Those times have been extremely rare. I have had machines that have given years of service without even a blip of a problem. For example, we till even have a G5 PowerMac sitting here that I probably bought in 2004, and it is running just as sound as the day it was bought.

9. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

I have an iBook that was hit by an errant hockey puck. A little rubber mark. Works just fine. It's 10 years old.

10. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

I was firmly anti-Apple before my iPhone. Now, I'm converted. I'll be replacing all my computers with Macs eventually.

11. PeterGibbons

PeterGibbons Member

My old work powerbook (15" titanium G4) had literally been beaten to hell. I dropped it more times than I'd like to admit, I remember one night after a HS football game, somehow the power cord had gotten wrapped around my leg (thank GOD for the new magsafe cords), I hopped up to get a stat sheet and it went flying, landed on top of the screen and made the battery come unhinged and fly out. I near shat myself wondering how I'd file. I put the battery back in, booted it back up and it ran like a champ!

After 7 years of some pretty hard use I go to turn it in after the paper "upgraded" to new Dells. I hand it to our IT guy, he takes one look at it and asks "does thing thing even work?" I told him, it's taken a few bumps but it runs.

The "great" new Dell I got was nothing but problems. In less than two years, I had three DVD drives die, two fans, the hard drive crashed and after less than a year the battery would only last about 30 minutes.

Finally, I got another Mac, a new 13" macbook pro, I'll never switch back. Yeah Mac's are more expensive, but they're built like tanks and outlast their PC counterparts.

12. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Not my experience at all. I have an HP that has been through the wars since 2001 and is still kicking, while two other Macbooks failed and went to the great and expensive graveyard.

Draft saved Draft deleted