1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I lost another friend

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smallpotatoes, Aug 26, 2019.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Well, he doesn't like me much. Obviously you don't either.

You won't have me to kick around anymore (and no, that's not why I've been thinking about this)

2. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Do you know how many 'friends' have 'unfriended' me on that silly platform ... take it in stride.
    I remember when that site was actually raucous and semi-entertaining.
    When people could take a joke.

3. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Please talk to someone. There are people out there who can help.

Alma and Songbird like this.
  4. Smallpotatoes

I'm seeing one next week.

It's been a bad year. My mom died. I lost a job that I had for a long time. There's nothing there for me in that line of work anymore. I have no transferrable skills. I'm doing a job I don't do well. I lost another job after three days of training last week and they didn't even have the decency to tell me why. I've underachieved in every area of my life and the future doesn't look promising at all. I just don't see any reason to keep going.

This little incident didn't help either

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
  5. TowelWaver

TowelWaver Well-Known Member

I confess I don't really know you all that well beyond the posts I have read of yours on the political thread, Smallpotatoes, but please don't take a long-term "fix" for what is in actuality (though it may not seem like it) a short-term problem. I agree with those who have posted before--clearly this was a person who was looking for a reason to take offense, for whatever reason, at some perhaps ill-considered jokes that were ultimately harmless. If you sincerely apologized, and it was not accepted, that is on them and not on you.

My prayers are with you and I hope you will realize that you are more valued and cared for than you may know or appreciate right now.

6. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

Yes.

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Then you really need to get help. If you are being serious, call somebody

Tweener likes this.
  8. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

No, you don't, actually. Lighten up on yourself a little bit. You know how you intended your Facebook comment, and in the context it was in, it worked, and could/would draw a chuckle.

I get that cancer isn't something for people to joke about, but the joke wasn't really about that. Your friend needs a little time and space to get some perspective instead of holding quite so tightly to what amounts to her political correctness.

9. Smallpotatoes

What do you care? I'm just some fool you don't want to suffer.

10. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

You've had the kind of year that could throw anyone for a loop. Again, you need to cut yourself some slack.

So you're not as great as you wish you were.

Well, you're not as bad as you fear you are, either, and probably not as bad as you're saying and feeling here.

That's true of most everyone. You're not alone in being human, and imperfect.

Don't add to all the drama you've already had in your life this year, and only make yourself feel worse in the process.

OscarMadison and Vombatus like this.
  11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I grew up with the idea that everyone has their "stuff" and it isn't my place to tell them they're wrong with an opinion, an idea or a feeling. Lately, it seems I come across more and more people who don't share that idea - and feel very open everytime someone says something, or does something that they aren't comfortable with - whether that action is directed toward them or not. Maybe people are too accustomed these days to having everything catered to their liking - and instead of just "going with it" when some stray foreign idea, thought or feeling penetrates their bubble - they freak out.
    And this isn't a millenial thing - I notice it in older people as well. I was at a meeting and we were talking about needing to engage and greet people with a "How is it going?" or something - and an older woman said "Some people, like me, don't like that because then we feel it puts us on the spot and we have to respond." It kind of blew me away.
    Are people just more crabby now? I'm not going to say sensitive, because if they were sensitive they wouldn't be so eager to be so rude to people to their face.

OscarMadison likes this.
  12. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

It's very much not a millennial thing. It's mostly a Boomer/older white person thing. They're increasingly freaked out that they're no longer the center of everybody's universe and they're furious.

OscarMadison likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted