1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I lost another friend

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smallpotatoes, Aug 26, 2019.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I contacted them last summer. They contacted the career counseling office. They said they'd get back to me. They never did. That's another pet peeve of mine. If you can't or don't want to do something, it's OK to say no. In spite of what you might think, it won't hurt my feelings a bit.

I suppose I could try again.

Not sure, if that guy would give me another chance. Last fall, I worked with another career counselor whom I found more helpful. I redid my resume and dusted off my Linkedin page, making the changes she suggested. I got a few interviews from it, so I guess that was a step in the right direction.

I mentioned my misgivings about the other guy to her and she understood them. She also said sometimes going with someone in the family or a family friend isn't a good idea.

OscarMadison likes this.
  2. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

You suppose you could try again? It's not unreasonable to think your name was inadvertantly lost in the shuffle.... Why won't you try harder? Why didn't you contact your alma mater again?

Flip Wilson and OscarMadison like this.
  3. Smallpotatoes

I just assumed they couldn't help me.

Edit, I just looked at the web site and from the looks of it, they don't offer any sort of career counseling for alumni, just networking events and talks and things like that.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2020
    OscarMadison likes this.
  4. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

@Smallpotatoes, I don't know where you're from. Probably someplace where they don't end their sentences in prepositions. The Old South side of my family is big on appearances and manners. My father was from a completely different culture and he believed in being open and friendly and sometimes excruciatingly honest. His cockeyed optimism (and abundance of melanin) gave Mama's people fantods!

Here's the thing about Dad: He had a real good idea of what he could and couldn't do. If something was in his wheelhouse, he went for it. It got him two offers at graphic design houses that students from far more prestigious art schools would have killed for. He didn't go for either of those places even though my mother was perfectly willing to live the life of an artist's wife and frankly, I was happy to have all the art supplies I could knick from his workspace. His big limitation was trying to live up to what other family members wanted him to be. That's a whole nother story and it's after eleven here and that little Chillhop raccoon keeps yawning and making me sleepy, so...another time for that.

My point is, you do have some limitations. We all do. It's weird, but this tearing down of our social fabric is also a sign that we have a chance to reinvent ourselves. This is absolutely not the time to roll over and say you're done. You're not. If you have the energy to get on here and argue and chat, you have something left in you to fight for your life. You have strengths beyond the ones that might have defined you before. You also have a little bit of wiggle room to find your way even if it's in a different lane.

Keep swimming, keep swimming, keep swimming.

And here's that little raccoon. You might enjoy spending some time in his dorm room.

5. Smallpotatoes

Not complaining about this, just relating an experience. Today at work I drove two brand-new, off-the-truck Cadillac Escalades. Both ran out of gas after driving them for a mile or two.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I think that's why, whenever you buy a new car, they throw in the first tank of gas for free.
    Were you taking them to get gas when you ran out?

7. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

I wonder if the transmissions are bad.

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Your brother and the counsellor were correct. Leaving an interview early is ridiculous, these are all learning moments whether you get the job or not.

OscarMadison and Songbird like this.
  9. Smallpotatoes

We were taking them from a lot off site to headquarters a few miles from there. There are gas pumps at headquarters but not at the lot, which was once the site of a dog track.

10. Smallpotatoes

Not sure I agree. I just simply did not have the knowledge necessary to answer the questions. At that point do you just recite the alphabet?.Say "My name is Elmer J. Fudd, millionaire I own a mansion and a yacht"?

If it were an in-person interview, I'd be wasting the interviewer's time.

And I did learn something. The job wasn't what I thought it was and they were looking for someone who was a trained teacher, which I am not.

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

You’re right. Just keep doing what you’re doing.

Songbird likes this.
  12. Smallpotatoes

I get it. You have a problem with me. You don't suffer fools gladly and in your estimation, I'm a fool.

So why waste your time responding to anything I say?

Draft saved Draft deleted