1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I lost another friend

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smallpotatoes, Aug 26, 2019.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Mods, please change the thread title to I Lost Another Job.

Severian likes this.
  2. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I'm sure shitty management is quite common.

3. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Job abandonment is never a positive, and neither is a money-related mistake. You were lucky you were called back in.

It probably wasn't an attitude problem. The company more likely just had second thoughts, and you'd already given them any needed ammunition by walking off. Or, perhaps, something else -- like another money-related problem -- occurred again without your knowing or realizing, and the employer just didn't bother to point it out or bring it up the second time.

OscarMadison and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Yes it is. So are shitty employees. This isn’t new.

5. Smallpotatoes

And in your estimation I'm in that category?

6. Smallpotatoes

Still seems like shitty management to me.

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

No idea. Don’t care, but you left a major part of the story out when you originally posted.

8. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

The manager didn't handle the way she spoke to you and your trainer about the issue in the best way possible -- Walmart would call that a "respect for the individual" issue. But's it's also a personal/interpersonal issue more than a hard/fast business issue, so there is some wiggle room and some allowance for growth in that area. It isn't, and shouldn't be, the first thing under consideration here, not even by you or your trainer.

The manager actually handled the mistake -- the most important part of the issue -- correctly by taking over and fixing it as she knew/thought best. As a first-day trainee, you need to know when to step aside, know when a higher-up has a right and a responsibility to step in, and let them do it, without taking personal affront at it.

You, perhaps, also needed to forgive her being upset with you two (in a situation in which she actually had a right to be upset). Let her drive home the point about the money mistake, and make sure you learn from it, because, short of someone actually dying, or you literally telling a guest to fuck off right to their face, a money mistake -- whether unintentional or not -- actually is among the worst an employee can make in most business settings.

Even considering that, though, you really lost this job when you walked off.

FileNotFound and BurnsWhenIPee like this.
  9. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

This is what it all comes down to, IMO.

When you walk off on Day 1, short of being physically attacked or harassed, you don't get to play the "but they didn't even tell me why!" card.

The fact that you somehow omitted this in the original telling of what happened tells me you are unbelievably oblivious, or this is all a fiction story, or both.

If this is not fiction, it makes me wonder what other important details you've "forgotten" about with other job experiences.

JC likes this.
  10. Smallpotatoes

1. Who has not made a nistake on their first day?

2. It was fixable and she could have shown me how to fix it.

3. If I lost the job at that point, why apologize, admit I was put in an unfair position and ask me to come back then have me go though all the trouble of doing all the onboarding paperwork just to let me go a few days later?

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
  11. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

So, how’s the therapy going?

12. Smallpotatoes

Ok. Seeing him again on Monday.

Vombatus likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted