1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I like Mike ... and Mike, too

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by shotglass, Feb 7, 2008.

1. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I'm up to feed the codas because wifey's sick. And yes, I'm watching the Deuce.

Now, I fully expect to be met with near-complete derision and disagreement on this. But I'm watching Golic and Greenberg ... and dammit, I like them.

I find what they say to be interesting. I think they work well together. I think they genuinely like each other.

Flame away.

2. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

I like them, too.

3. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

I usually like them, but they get a little annoying when they do their, "Hey, Greenie. Yes, Golic?" shtick.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I like them in small doses. I don't watch/listen often, because this is usually workout time for me... But they are entertaining. They are pretty predictable in a lot of ways. Greenberg always does a teaser going into the break, "Find out which athlete did blah blah blah.... after the break."

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Nothing wrong with liking Golic.
    Greenberg is an annoying smarmy tool.

6. Duane Postum

Duane Postum Member

I love Mike and Mike. Both of 'em.

7. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

I can't stand that schtick. Hate it, hate it hate it. Ugh. So, fuckin' goofy and Leave It to Beaverish.

Please make them stop.

8. Duane Postum

Duane Postum Member

Don't they just do that shtick in commercials?

9. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Those are the commercials, on nthe show they're pretty good. Especially here where the alternative sports is Boomer & Carton. I've finally put my finger on who Carton reminds me of - it's the sports talk guy from Frasier Crane's radio station. He is the absolute replacement level sports talk show host. A bit of a jerk, never at a loss for words, always a contrarian POV at his fingertips, an ego that has to be a put on, and no shame at all.

Boomer is uniquely ill-suited for this format because he has no sense of humor, so he can't be the butt of any jokes without getting legitimately offended and striking back with real put-downs that aren't meant in jest or at all funny. Also, he has no feel for it, and thus when Carton tries to set up a story "Guess who ....", he always says, "Oh I saw this before, it's ....". What Mike & Mike have developed so well, Boomer will never have.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Boomer's half-smart frat-boy persona grates, hard, after a while.

He plays the New York suckup game, well, but it doesn't translate into sportstalk radio success.

Carton's in 'way over his head.

11. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Dana Jacobson says f**k em. :)

They can be very interesting if they dive into an issue, but they do way to much stupid stuff. They feel the need to come up wit some goofy song for every candidate for MVP in a league and watching Greenberg sway to the music is enough to make you lose your breakfast.

After enduring way too many of these questions, I automatically flip to something else whenever they discuss a "man-up question."

I also hate they the "Hey Golic! Yes Greeny" bit as well as Greenberg's tiresome line of "we're back and better than ever." If they're better than ever every day, I guess they really sucked a couple of weeks ago.

There's a lot to like and a lot to hate with their show. At least with football season over, they won't obsess with the NFL quite as much.

12. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

I like them, I just can't stand the horrible, horrible songs that Liam & crew constantly throw out there.

Draft saved Draft deleted