1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I learned a new slur today ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Football_Bat, Jul 21, 2006.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

"Breeder."

It's the new "honky."

http://today.reuters.com/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=domesticNews&storyID=2006-07-20T230758Z_01_N20426060_RTRUKOC_0_US-RIGHTS-GAYS.xml&archived=False

PROVINCETOWN, Massachusetts (Reuters) - Provincetown, New England's summer gay capital, is facing a rise in harassment and discrimination. But this time it's straight people who say they are being ridiculed as "breeders" and "baby makers."

Less than a decade after a successful campaign to end violent paroxysms of "gay bashing" in the beach town at the tip of Cape Cod in Massachusetts, police and town officials report a resurgence in tension between gays and straight people.

Police Chief Ted Meyer said straight people complained of being called "breeders" over the July Fourth holiday weekend, and that in one serious incident a man was charged with assaulting a woman who signed a petition to ban same-sex marriage in Massachusetts, the only state where it is legal.

2. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Good Lord, "breeder" has been around for years!

3. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

They need to send Ozzie over there to make it a fair fight.

4. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

I thought the GLBT crowd would have something smarter than that. Not all straight people are married to their brothers or their sisters (with respects to "breeders").

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

The video to Cannonball is kinda cool ...

[​IMG]

6. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

I think I'll open a new chain of hip maternity wear.

I'll call it The BAP

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You're not a breeder anymore or gay, so you got no dog in this fight.

8. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

I'm just on the disabled breeder list.

Four kids makes me a breeder. Had I been in Provincetown that day, holding hands with my wife and pushing kids around in strollers, I'm sure I would have been just as likely to be slurred with chants of "Babymaker"regardless of the status of my tubes.

9. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I don't condone harassment coming from any source, I see this as a response by people outside the mainstream who have certain "lifestyles" shoved down their throats.

And by "lifestyles" I mean the marriage-kids-picket fence lifestyle. That's the societal Kool-Aid.

Those in the minority - be they gay, child-free, or single-by-choice adult - are becoming more vocal. Hang around with enough child-free people and you'll learn the militant ones refer to children as "fuck trophies".

I'm reminded of the Sex in the City episode where Carrie's Manolos are lost at her friend's baby shower: her friend refuses to pay for Carrie's "lavish single lifestyle" and Carrie realizes that between the engagement presents, wedding presents and baby presents she's been subsidizing her friend's own lifestyle choices for years.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

So could the gay guy who assaulted the straight woman be charged with a hate crime?

11. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

That's strong.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You could have worn a "I've been cut, don't hate me" T-shirt.

Draft saved Draft deleted