1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I know that TV is a different animal, but...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by RecentAZgrad, May 24, 2009.

1. RecentAZgrad

RecentAZgrad Active Member

...is it blatantly-cheering-and-clapping-during-a-newscast different?

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=4201858&categoryid=2378529

2. greenlantern

greenlantern Guest

It doesn't bother me since it was a station in Cleveland cheering for its NBA team. Now had it been them cheering for one local high school over another ...

3. chilidog75

chilidog75 Member

I was in a room of eight people watching that game. We are nowhere close to Cleveland. Not one Cavs fan among us. And six of the eight people in the room jumped out of their chairs when he made that shot.
    Of course, we weren't on live television. So there's a difference.
    But can't really fault the reaction, since I had a similar one and had no rooting interest at all.
    Isn't live TV magical?

4. canucklehead

canucklehead Active Member

You're either a professional you're not.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

That conveys exactly what it felt like to be a Cleveland sports fan Friday night. Gloom and doom to utter joy in the space of seconds. Terrific job by those newscasters.

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

hahahahaha

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

If a political reporter applauds and whoops when Barack Obama enters the room, that's one thing. But good stories are good stories, and there's nothing really wrong with rooting for a good story.

If the Cavs had won a routine game by 19 points, there would not have been any cheering and clapping, because there would not have been much of a story.

Let's say there is a pilot whose plane's landing gear does not work. Nation is gripped as live shots are shown of the plane in the sky.

If pilot lands plane safely, is it wrong for any reporters present to cheer the event? If it is, then fuck this "profession."

8. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

I imagine that anyone watching that newscast at that time cares nothing about the Cavaliers or they'd be watching the game. So I'm guessing that audience at the time was a bit put off by this.

9. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I'm going against grumpy old curmudgeon newspaper type and say I thought it was fun -- and not only that, if people were watching the newscast, by god, they got some breaking news.

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I can see that point, but it's not like they interrupted real news. That was, if I'm guessing right (I didn't have the volume up high at work) the little hubbub at the end where everyone small talks. So whether they're jibberjabbering or hooting about the Cavs, I don't see the harm.

11. During live television, you have a responsibility not to act like that. You're a professional journalist, and you're supposed to act like it.

12. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

I'm fine with it. I'm just saying that the viewer who is watching that newscast when the Cavaliers game is going on probably didn't like it because they don't care about it.

Draft saved Draft deleted